Tongue over the bit - suggestions?!

mangobiscuit

Visit site
My darling boy has had a nasty habit of putting his tongue over his bit (loose ring french link snaffle). He has a flash but even when this has been adjusted tight, he still manages to put it over!

He doesn't do this just before tanking off or anything - he just does it about 3 minutes after I've put it in his mouth!! It's like a little routine to him. He has done this for literally YEARS.

Does anyone know of anything (bits or anything else) that may stop this.......or any other reasons other than "ooo what a fantastic evasion technique I have mastered
crazy.gif
" there might be behind him doing this.

He is a very well behaved and happy horse in all respects and doesn't seem uncomfortable in his current bit????

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Bob does it to pass the time away - the only thing that stops him is hoicking the bit a little higher in his mouth. I have used a winch or cinch noseband on its tightest setting to see if it stops him, but he still sucks the tongue up and over without opening his mouth.

He is happy in his mouth, works in a lovely outline and is relaxed through his frame (providing his tongue is in the right place). But when we stand in line at a show he spends the whole time sucking his tongue up to the port in his pelham and trying to get it over the bit.

Someone has suggested vet wrap so that there is more friction when he tries to get his tongue over, but haven't tried it yet. To be honest, he is only doing two more shows this year (Nat Champ and HOYS) and then he is going back into retirement and hacking!

LauraBR

Visit site
My new horse does this terribly! I have recently swapped his plain snaffle for a Myler triple barrel something or other bit and he seems much much happier in it. The barrels on the bit keep his tongue busy and he is visbly more comfortable in it.

mangobiscuit

Visit site
So is the general opinion to try different bits as opposed to changing noseband?

He's such a little tinker - I'm not such why he does it but HE NEEDS TO STOP! (as much as I love him)

LauraBR

Visit site
It sounds as though he might be a bit uncomfortable possibly and if that is the case strapping his mouth closed may make things worse rather than better?

I would definitely try lots of different bits, good luck!!!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Hi, a pony I knew did this with a french link, and his owner got a port mouth snaffle, which did the trick. Also, be sure the french link is fitted high enough....I made that mistake!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Babe I still think you should try Ty's straight bar happy mouth - I always thought a straight bar helped stop them getting their tongue over the bit? Put it back on Ty last night and he went so much better........ x

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Yeh might aswell try it out - can i try ur elevator on Fin too?

Have had clearance from HQ
grin.gif
for a new bridle as our current one is ACTUALLY falling apart
frown.gif

Am looking at an Albion one (gotta have matching saddle and bridle - oh god im becoming one of those equi-snobs!) looks abit like yours......

You back at home I take it or have you taken up camp in Ty's stable with your laptop
wink.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
Myler high wide ported comfort snaffle will work wonders, they are brilliant. But if you want something a lot cheaper just use a ported kimblewick without the curb chain, this is what we did for our pony who used to put her tongue over the bit, she can't now, lol.
smile.gif

Pasha

Visit site
I use the Sprenger Aurigan Tournado Loose Ring Snaffle... it's specifically designed to eliminate tongue vices such as putting the tongue over the bit and snatching at the bit - works for mine!