Tonight was the Night. :)

Illusion100

Visit site
I finally got on my little beastie for the 1st time!

Hasn't been sat on since he came back from Trainer when he went to finish being backed in June (which didn't go quite as smoothly as expected) and he really hasn't done much at all since.

I can be overly critical and I have to admit I couldn't find a flaw, he was just excellent. Stood completely relaxed while I got on and off a few times and then I just sat and enjoyed the ride when we were led round for a little walk. He just had a head collar/saddle on as I wanted to keep 'rider interference' minimal for my first sit on him.

It was the second time he'd been in a floodlit environment and he didn't bother about the shadows one little jot.

He pootled along like he'd been giving seaside rides all his life.

I realise this probably doesn't sound like anything to be particularly excited about to many of you but some of you may remember the road travelled with this horse, so I am immensely happy.

The nicest bit about it was that he seemed a bit disappointed when he was then tucked up into bed for the night, he certainly seemed to enjoy getting to do grown up horse stuff and was quite proud of himself.

How have all of you been getting along with your goals? Please share and join me in my happy evening. :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
awww I'm really pleased for you! I don't know the back story but I do know how amazing it feels when you finally sit on your baby horse after building up to it for so long!

My youngster has been lame for about 6 weeks and had his shoes removed on monday and is starting to look like he might be coming sound again, so even though I've not got to ride him yet, I am feeling very positive about getting him working again in the near future! and in the meantime I've found a lovely mare to ride, who is really well schooled, so will help me improve my riding too :) yay

Leo Walker

Visit site
I rode mine yesterday and I'm thrilled! I've not ridden him since he came back from schooling and I got ill a few months ago. I had yet ANOTHER person fail to turn up to meet him with a view to riding him for me. For free, not even any chores to do! I got so mad I decided to get on anyway. I got my OH to walk with me in case I had a funny turn and had to get off etc, and off we toddled. He is a superstar! And I managed just fine so now I'm going to ride him more. Even if its just 15mins a few times a week till I recover :)

Illusion100

Visit site
awww I'm really pleased for you! I don't know the back story but I do know how amazing it feels when you finally sit on your baby horse after building up to it for so long!

My youngster has been lame for about 6 weeks and had his shoes removed on monday and is starting to look like he might be coming sound again, so even though I've not got to ride him yet, I am feeling very positive about getting him working again in the near future! and in the meantime I've found a lovely mare to ride, who is really well schooled, so will help me improve my riding too :) yay

He was just so chilled and relaxed about it all. He gave the impression of being the sort of horse that people would use to regain confidence from after a fall rather than the previous psychologically unhinged maniac that couldn't cope with life in general. Even now that I've had time to think over it, I still can't find anything to fault about it. I'm looking forward to working him again in the week before riding him with a bridle on at the weekend and doing a little stop, go and steering work.

Sorry to hear your youngster has been lame but really pleased he's improving now. Do you have an idea of what was the issue? I have to admit I also love getting to play on really well schooled horses, it's such fun, I'm a little jealous of this lovely mare you are enjoying! ;)

Illusion100

Visit site
I rode mine yesterday and I'm thrilled! I've not ridden him since he came back from schooling and I got ill a few months ago. I had yet ANOTHER person fail to turn up to meet him with a view to riding him for me. For free, not even any chores to do! I got so mad I decided to get on anyway. I got my OH to walk with me in case I had a funny turn and had to get off etc, and off we toddled. He is a superstar! And I managed just fine so now I'm going to ride him more. Even if its just 15mins a few times a week till I recover :)

Sorry you've been under the weather, nothing permanent I hope. :(

I guess some people don't know a good thing when it's in front of them so I hazard you are better off knowing they aren't worth the privilege of getting the offer you had to give them. Bloomin' timewasters, really not helpful especially when you're ill.

Bet it was lovely to get aboard him again and glad he was a dude for you. Just take it easy until you are fighting fit again, ok?! :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
He was just so chilled and relaxed about it all. He gave the impression of being the sort of horse that people would use to regain confidence from after a fall rather than the previous psychologically unhinged maniac that couldn't cope with life in general. Even now that I've had time to think over it, I still can't find anything to fault about it. I'm looking forward to working him again in the week before riding him with a bridle on at the weekend and doing a little stop, go and steering work.

Sorry to hear your youngster has been lame but really pleased he's improving now. Do you have an idea of what was the issue? I have to admit I also love getting to play on really well schooled horses, it's such fun, I'm a little jealous of this lovely mare you are enjoying! ;)

Oh sounds amazing, so pleased for you!! We need some piccies next time.

I remember that feeling when I rode my boy for the first time!! Also in a similar position as I honestly believe he was mentally unstable! he'd rear in hand, for the fun of it!! when I got someone out to long line him for the first time, he chucked himself on the floor!! I honestly thought he'd be a devil to back! but apparently he was a total pleasure! and that feeling sitting on him for the first time, a horse who's steering still needed work but oh my did I feel 100% safe up there! Don't get me wrong he's been naught since but its always been as a result of pain!

He basically has early onset arthritis! had a bone spavin in his hock, so he's had his hocks fused! He also has a bone spur in his coffin joint in his front right, as well as the coffin bone sitting on the wrong angle and has pedal osteitis. He had steroid injections last year and has been having remedial shoeing but the shoeing actually seemed to make him worse! so we have now removed him shoes and are following the principals of Rockley Farm and we are trying to self trim!! already, in a week, we've gone from walking toe first to be very much heel first, so hopefully once he's used to the stoney ground he will be okay for me to get back on. :) finger x'd

Leo Walker

Visit site
Funny isnt it how you just get some horses! I sold my big ploddy cob as I hated riding him, and kept the 2 small, 2 green youngster I'd had since a 2yr old, and is now going through a bratty 5yr old year. Best decision I've ever made!