Tony Wright in the H&H today

allijudd

Visit site
Exmoor huntsman Tony Wright's lawyers have lodged an appeal at Exeter Crown Court against his prosecution for illegal hunting. The appeal will be heard later this year, but in the meantime hunts will carry on as before. Devon and Cornwall Police have confirmed the case is not a legislative benchmark: "Nothing has changed as a result of the Wright case," said Assistant Chief Constable Richard Stowe, adding that hunts across the country have been found to be hunting within the law.

Hunting is not a priority for the Devon and Cornwall Police, Assistant Chief Constable Stowe confirmed. "It is not part of the National Policing Plan," he said, "There are 33 hunts in Devon and Cornwall, about 10% of the country's hunts. If we had to police them all it would be very difficult." But he was keen to point out that violence at hunt meets will not be tolerated. "Whilst I've said hunting is not a police priority, violence is," he warned.

It would appear from this article (can be found on H&H website) that
a: Antis claims for a benchmark based on case is still not happening, and the CPS isn't picking up all prosecutions.
b. The police appear to be as fed up with the antis as everyone else
c. As the huntsmen dont start fights but the sabs do, I would say, according to the article, the police will defend the hunts.

At least the police seem to have some common sense these days :grin:

Hercules

Visit site
"Whilst I've said hunting is not a police priority, violence is," he warned.

And I would suggest violence on the streets of any County's High Street would be an even greater priority than any minor public disorder at a Meet.

''a: Antis claims for a benchmark based on case is still not happening, and the CPS isn't picking up all prosecutions.''

Although the outcome was going to be important, it was never going to be a benchmark case. A benchmark case needs to be set by a High Court Judge, not a buckshee District Judge sitting on a private prosecution.

''b. The police appear to be as fed up with the antis as everyone else.''

Never in doubt

''At least the police seem to have some common sense these days.''

They always have. It has always only ever been LACS supporters who have caused trouble - either through direct violent action against people participating in a legitimate pastime or through encitement to violence and provocation.