Too honest?

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice. I have advertised a horse for sale and because I want to find the most suitable home I have been 100% honest about the horse's history and I wonder if I am putting people off? I have been looking at ads for similar types of horses and they do not give much information on history. Is there anyone that could have a look at the ad if I pm it to them. A friend suggested to me today that people do not include the information that I have included in the hope that when potential buyers come they will really like the horse and be more willing to overlook small things once they actually know the horse. I hope that is not too cryptic but I don't want anyone to think I am advertising by including any details!

Thanks,

Mango sorbet for anyone that got this far! :)

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I'm one for total honesty in adverts too and maybe it does put people off, you may be better off leaving out the 'not so good bits' and perhaps explain them on the phone when you can answer questions and really explain yourself.

I'd be happy to look at your ad for you.

Firewell

Visit site
You do have to be careful not to put people off as they will have a different journey to you with rhe horse and what is a issue for you might not be for them.
For instance my horse was advertised as sound and sane but a bit spooky so not suitable for a novice but generally he was a cool dude. As a slightly less than brave but experienced amature rider that was ok.
Now if they had said 'not novice ride, spins out hacking alone and runs off bronching' I would have run a mile!!! In real life I could deal with that as it wasn't 'that' sharp and he IS a cool dude and pretty easy.
If they had overplayed his one quirk I would have missed out on my horsie soul mate.
If your horse is a young blood horse of course they might have the odd spook, sharp moment, buck. Anyone who knows their salt would expect this and I don't think ot warrents mentioning.
If however the horse does buck on a regular basis to the point it's rider falls off or it routinely is nad ro load or whatever that's different and requires mentioning.
It's about marketing your horse to the right audience. You don't market a young, talented, sharp WB to a happy hacker and vice versa with a 20yr old cob.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Hmmm, thanks firewell. Have re-read the ad with my buyers hat on and it does not sound good. Have tweaked it a bit so hopefully the facts sound a bit more positive now!