Too long in a trailer without stopping?

Dumbo

Visit site
Looking at booking a weekend away near a beach with the horses for my birthday later this year.
Found somewhere but it's 2 and a half hours away (I live in the furthest place from the coast!)
Would we need to find somewhere to stop, unload and have a leg stretch or would they be ok in a box all that time?
Sorry if it's a dumb question!

Cragrat

Visit site
Should be fine, especially if not too hot.
Make sure they have access to water before they leave, ( maybe give them a moist fibre feed like unmolassed sugared beet to keep the intestines moving ) and have absorbent bedding to wee on.

catroo

Visit site
As others have said no need to stop, we frequently go a lot further than that.

Travelling is quite tiring especially if they don't go on long journeys frequently, just something to consider.

Also second the importance of having breakdown cover for horsebox/trailer, had a blowout on the way back from windsor and it was so much easier calling the breakdown company who sorted everything than it would of been calling and organising myself.

PorkChop

Visit site
I wouldn't stop for this length of journey, will be fine, if I was going on a journey longer than three hours I would stop to offer water, but not unload.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It isn't too far in one go, don't unload. Do you feed the hay damp? It might be a good idea to do this so they aren't breathing in any dust from the hay, and damp hay is giving them some moisture too. Make sure you hang up the haynet outside to drip before putting it in the trailer.

Also take extra hay and water, just in case you get held up for some reason.

neddy man

Visit site
we travel 110 miles Sheffield to Harwood dale with a trailer & 2 horses .We stop every 45 mins or so, just to check them .Never a problem even in the height of summer .A good drink first and a big soaked hay net , you will be fine .Many competition horses travel over 100 miles with no problems If you are not sure ,travel 1/2 way turn of and find a side road unload and let them graze a verge for 10 mins reload and continue to your destination .( Enjoy the change fro Derbyshire .)

NZJenny

Visit site
I would not stop on a two and a half hour trip. Anything over four hours definately.

I also don't feed my horses hay in the float - know too many that have choked.

Have a fun weekend!

rara007

Visit site
Gosh, not too far at all! (We took ours 11 hours each way for a competition this weekend!) We generally have to run to HGV laws so only stop every 4.5 hours, or after 4.5 hours and then every 2 hours depending on driver :) I've been up to just over 3 hours towing and never stopped, for that short length of journey causes more disruption than it solved IME.

tinap

Visit site
No I wouldn't stop either on a journey that long.

We did 7 hours with the pony in the trailer, stopped twice on the way for toilet breaks so offered water at the same time. I don't get them off for a leg stretch as I never think it's safe to do so x

sport horse

Visit site
Often travel competition horses on long journeys. Stop and offer drinks, hay at feed times. Do not unload on the side of a road or in a layby - far too dangerous.

jm2k

Visit site
We do endurance riding, most travel is about 2 - 3 hours from home and we never stop.
If 4 hrs then we stop, check them over (not unload) then carry on.
We ensure there is full haynets (with very small hole net), and give a very small feed before travelling (we use soaked grass nuts with some chaff).
Rear doors open. If weather is hot, then the roof vent is open quarter or half way as well.
Always travel with full length boots, never without. Depending on weather if they have a wicking fleece or naked.
They have a few minutes walk when we arrive to stretch their legs etc, then tack up and away we go.

Cannot stress highly enough to ensure the vehicle has breakdown AND you have separate horse breakdown! If your with AA or RAC then you get a discounted rate with PRP for the horses.
We called out RAC twice on route last year, one tyre on jeep blew a chunk of tread!! And the second time the radiator hose blew and had to be towed home, with the horses being taken home with a separate transporter.
For the sake of less than £150 it was a God send to ensure we are covered at all times.