Too many ghosts!

Expo

Visit site
Chatting to a friend of my husband the a few weeks ago, I asked how his wife is getting on with her new horse. He told me she had moved yards recently to a DIY place which had just started up very near where I live but that she had been offered the chance to go back to another yard she had been on with her old horse. I asked why she had chosen the new place over the old yard: a place with a very good reputation locally and he said the old place has "too many ghosts". Not ghosts in the literal sense, but just old memories. Her old horse died there and various other things had happened over the years. She just felt she needed a fresh start in a new place with the new horse.

I have some sympathy for her point of view as I was in a similar situation myself recently. Has anyone else ever moved to get away from "ghosts"?

SEL

Visit site
Not me, but my friend who lost both her horses within a short space of time at 1 yard couldn't face having her new horse there. Neither of the horse's deaths had anything at all to do with the yard but she had so many memories she wanted to start somewhere fresh.

The worst for ghosts though was Facebook with its constant reminders of what had happened 1/2/3 years ago!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, in fact we were very pleased to find that we could take our 2nd horse to a yard which owned the fields next to the farm where we kept our first horse. It felt like coming home after a few weeks of hell, with her escaping from fields, hating the yard surface and feeling claustrophobic in a low roofed stable block. The very familiar hacking was a bonus.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Nope, I lost my first horse in september, and I wouldn't dream of leaving! I know she is there with me every morning when I'm chucking the shetlands and I find that comforting

sarahann1

Visit site
I lost both my old boys within 2 months of each other this summer, I already had my mare at the yard and I don't plan on moving her.

I still look at the boys fields and feel sad, now and again have a good old cry that they aren't in them. Their names are still on the stable door and they'll stay there until the day I move (if I ever move).

Micropony

Visit site
Nope, I lost my first horse in september, and I wouldn't dream of leaving! I know she is there with me every morning when I'm chucking the shetlands and I find that comforting

I feel like that too, although for me it was September two years ago now. Many more happy memories than sad ones.

Hannahgb

Visit site
I lost my two boys in a short space of time. I moved yards for totally different reasons, but it was a relief not to see other peoples horses in my boys stables or having to walk past the spot I lost them both at on a daily basis.

Wimbles

Visit site
I lost my beautiful Monty at the yard that I have just moved from and felt a bit squiffy about almost leaving him there (is that as odd as it sounds). He broke his leg in the school and I never really liked riding in there after that. The mind is a crazy thing!

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
I lost two horses in two years. I was lucky enough to have kept them at home so moving would be a bit drastic! However, their ghosts are everywhere and I had a bit of a breakdown two nights ago in the empty stable. However, there's good memories here as well as the sad. I agree about the Facebook memories though - always make me cry when one of my dearly departed friends pops up on there :_(

skint1

Visit site
I've lost two wonderful horses in the last 2 years for different reasons but I find it kind of comforting to be on the same yard that I enjoyed so many happy times with them, but everyone is different, it's a very individual thing grief

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I've never had this with yards, but I did change vets after having my old dog put down. No problem with the previous vets, I just didn't want to go back to that building. I'm not sure why as I've had dogs put down before and since and not had that reaction.

my bfg

Visit site
I lost my wonderful girl Emily this May and decided to stay on the same yard, I thoroughly cleaned her stable before Tilly arrived in July to attempt to make a fresh start, but it still took quite a while to get used to seeing a different horses head over the door. I will always cherish the memories we made there and yes there are ghosts, the magpie that used to follow Em around her field has returned to follow Tilly about, plus every time it's foggy Ems hoof prints appear outside the stable door, it must be an imprint from a hoof treatment she had applied but (as mad as it sounds) I like to think it means she's still close by x

Last edited:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have kept our horses at home since we moved here, over twenty years ago, and have lost a few over that time. I find that seeing the "new" horses in the places the previous ones occupied gives a sense of continuity and growth