Too much food in 1 feed?

horsegirl

Visit site
I weighed my horse's evening feed and, including the bucket, it weighed 6kg. I read on the Bailey's website that you shouldn't feed more than 4.4kg at each meal but a lot of his feed is the sugarbeet which I make very sloppy as he likes his feed quite wet and also carrots & apples and alfa a oil (and soya oil) all of which add to the weight. The feed only contains 1kg of nuts (max, the rest are in a feed ball) so my question is is this too much or does the alfa, sugarbeet, etc count as forage ?

Sorry to ramble, hope it makes sense.

Happytohack

Visit site
Although they are forage based feeds, the sugarbeet & alphaA should be included in the weight of each feed. I think Baileys recommendation is very high, and that 4.4 kg is too much hard feed to feed in one go. When you weighed your feed, you obviously had a lot of water in it which doesn't count! If you are feeding 1kg cubes and then weigh the sugarbeet dry before you soak it, plus the alphaA - you will find you are probably only feeding under 2kg per feed which is absolutely fine. Don't worry about the carrots,apples & water.

horsegirl

Visit site
great thanks, I will try again and just weigh the dry ingredients! As the sugarbeet is only a couple of mug fulls dry weight and alfa a is very light