Too much to expect?

Simbapony

Visit site
Hi All

Looking at buying myself a new horse, very experienced rider but out of the game for about 5 years. Looking for a Welsh D to do dressage and been to see one which I liked. Its 4, backed and turned away 6 months ago (by dealer who its still with) supposedly through a lack of time. Dealer has a good reputation but I have asked just to see it bought in , tacked up and sat on (was previously hacking out apparently) but dealer won't do so, citing a lack of time. Offered to do me a video the day before collecting but I have said I want to be there. She did tell me he had been wary when sitting up but doesn't shoot off. Am I expecting too much? I don't mind putting work in, and with something like this I fully expect too, but also want to make sure I am OK to at least get on without saying too much of a prayer!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would walk away. It should be possible for a dealer to show someone sat on a horse that was backed six months ago and turned away.

If you are keen, you could ask her for a written warrantee that you will be able to get it ridden away and vetted within 30 days or she gives you a100% refund. When she refuses that, then walk away.

Henry02

Visit site
I would not buy any horse if the owner refuses to tack it up and sit on it. Even if sold from the field, I’d still expect it to be tacked up and sat on. Literally just sat on. Not expecting it to be ridden, but at least giving purchasers a chance to see that it might be ridable. Don’t even had to have a perfectly fitting saddle just to sit there.

I avoid horses where the owner says “I haven’t got a saddle”, just screams it’s a lunatic with veterinary issues

Simbapony

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input. I am disappointed (especially as put a deposit down which I now won't get back) but gog to think long term

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input. I am disappointed (especially as put a deposit down which I now won't get back) but gog to think long term

If you’ve already put a deposit down, and presumably it’s near enough to you, go and see it. How much is the pony?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Absolutely walk away. Surely it'd take more time to make and send a video than it would do to have you there watching in the flesh?

SusieT

Visit site
I dont quite understand why you didnt ask the question when you looked, so to be fair can see why you wouldn't get your deposit back

Simbapony

Visit site
But would still not think ots too much to just put some tack on and mount him whilst there , that's my issue, they are not wanting me to be there , but yo have a video.

chaps89

Visit site
Smart dealer - if they video they can spend a day or two getting the horse happy being tacked up and sat on them video a good take.
Then when you go back to them as you can't do the same, they'll say they have video evidence of the horse being fine with it so must be you.
Or so says the cynical side of me!
Think

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think it sounds very dodgy, and if a dealer actually admits that a horse is ‘wary’ when the rider sits up on it, and is now refusing to let you see it ridden, you can bet it’s not safe to sit on at the moment.
Shame to let her just walk away with your deposit though. That would annoy me very much!
I would insist they bring it in and show you want you want to see, or they refund you your deposit.
Or you could take a punt and get him/her home and reback slowly and carefully yourself, bearing in mind it’s a big risk.
Were you having a vetting?

Simbapony

Visit site
I think it sounds very dodgy, and if a dealer actually admits that a horse is ‘wary’ when the rider sits up on it, and is now refusing to let you see it ridden, you can bet it’s not safe to sit on at the moment.
Shame to let her just walk away with your deposit though. That would annoy me very much!
I would insist they bring it in and show you want you want to see, or they refund you your deposit.
Or you could take a punt and get him/her home and reback slowly and carefully yourself, bearing in mind it’s a big risk.
Were you having a vetting?
I wasn't planning on to be honest. The whole thing has left me with massive anxiety. I appreciate i shouldn't have given her any money but I was really excited by him :(

The thing is these days as a single mum with a full time job, I don't want to be killing myself on something I know has an issue? Id fully have accepted her spinning him on the lunge for a few mins before but I dont think I'm asking too much to be there in person