Too shoe or not to

xxJessxx

Visit site
I'm in a bit of a dilema I'm buying a new pony and I'm not sure whether to shoe her or not she doesn't have any shoes at the moment and i won't be hacking on roads any advice?

btw what colours suit chestnuts lol?

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
what will you be doing with her when you get her?

and dark green suits chestnuts
smile.gif

paintsplat05

Visit site
Star used to have front shoes on but as he barely ever goes out on the roads and the areana surface is sand and rubber he doesn't have them on any more.
Hunter green and Navy Blue suit chestnuts as do white and black!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
What type is she?
TBH if you're not doing road work or going on hard ground (tracks can get pretty baked in the sun and quite stoney), then I wouldnt bother. If you want to do hacking in the heat of summer over hard ground probably ask your farrier's advice then get front shoes and see how it goes.

Vey

Visit site
The idea that barefoot horses cannot go on roads is mistaken - they can, and it tends to improve the condition of the hoof. If a horse can manage barefoot, it will benefit from it. There are many advantages. Why not read up on barefoot horses, or else give barefoot a go? It is easy to get shoes on, but harder to take them off and go barefoot again.

smokeybabes

Visit site
If she hasn't got shoes on now she's probably coping without shoes and there'd probably be no reason to put shoes on.
You should really only make this decision once you have horse and are doing the thingss you want to do with her and see how she copes. There's no point putting shoes on just for the sake of it!
And even without shoes she'd probably be able to cope on roads anyway! My TBx hasn't got shoes and at the last trim i was told his feet are good but more roadwork will help make his feet better!

RobinHood

Visit site
Roads really aren't a problem for barefoot horses, the only thing they can struggle with are stoney bridleways. Roadwork will condition the feet as they will adapt to cope with the terrain you ride on.

Accy

Visit site
My boy is unshod and i have no intention of putting any one unless he struggles, have a good read up on going barefoot then see how you feel about it, i think its a very personal choice.

My boy is a liver chestnut and looks lovely in deep purple

fjudge

Visit site
My sisters conny has hunted without shoes on! Hes only 7, but his feet are great! If he was to ever feel hesitent on the ground we would put shoes on him, but he so far ahd been great about it....and its a HELL of a lot cheaper!!!!

xxJessxx

Visit site
yea she's coming in about a week or so she's going to be mainly ridden in a rubber menage and through fields once it starts to get cooler again. I will see how she goes and i might put on shoes if she is struggling thanks for the advice, I think she will look lovely in hunter green and white thanks
laugh.gif
xxx