Too Thin?

Litorio

Visit site
I recently (november) moved my horse up to uni with me. he worried off a lot of weight in the first 2 months as he was on box rest due to an injury and didn't seem to like where he was being kept.

He is back in work now, only light but getting there and he has put some weight back on. however, people still keep telling me that he is too thin. I would really appreciate anyone's opinion on this.

here are some pics:

ben1dj4.jpg

ben2zn3.jpg

ben3kr1.jpg

ben4pq4.jpg

ben5pp7.jpg

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Lacking a bit of topline (which is to be expected as has been out of work), looks O.K. for this time of year and although I would want to build him up a bit, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry (spring is fast approaching). People seem to be obcessed in getting their horses fat these days.

Litorio

Visit site
i know! i like to keep my ponies a bit on the trim side but his muscle needs building up badly.

just going slowly with him as he's on the older side and i dont want to aggrivate his injury.

people up here keep acting like he's about to drop dead with starvation!

Tinypony

Visit site
I was waiting for your photos to load expecting hips and ribs! He's fine. So many people keep their horses overweight these days.
Have you thought about trying something like a chambon to help him build some muscles? I've found them quite helpful with this, and maybe more use than side reins.
I think considering what he's been through he looks great.

Litorio

Visit site
well ive never used any devices with him before and side reins are a first for him. he seems to accept them though and he works in a nice position with them.. better than he did without them.

im a bit worried about using anytihng else as i dont want to 'over-gadget' him...

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Like the others have said.

I would just make sure he is warm enough ( if anything, his coat looks a little bit 'flat and dull' to me) which will make the weight go off him quicker than anything and make sure he's on adlib forage with maybe a balancer like Blue Chip to ensure he's getting all he can do out of his feed. I know it's easier said than done at college though!

To my mind, he looks well and alert considering he is only just back into work after injury; I wouldn't want him too heavy either which might sound contrary!

He's a lovely type!

icemaiden113

Visit site
He looks lovely, and in great condition! A lot of people think that if there horse is fat it must be okay but it looks awful. There is more chance of them dying if they are overweight. Know of a very famous show horse that dropped down dead as he was overweight!

Tia

Visit site
Looks like a lovely horse. Sorry but I can't comment on weight as there is a huge blue saddle pad in the way.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Ignore them! He's fine. Far rather too thin than too fat, but he simply isn't either. Stick to your guns. Next time the vet comes, get him to tell your knowlegeable friends what he thinks. Maybe when it comes from an expert they'll take notice. Owners who keep their horses too fat should be fined and banned from buying feed!
shocked.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif

ThomasTank

Visit site
Too THin!! they dont know what they are talking about. Tell them to keep their noses out.
To me he looks about right considering the last few months.

ruscara

Visit site
Hello, M!
smile.gif
It's lovely to see the young man again. He's looking fine to me, and I hope he's settled in better now? Hope you are OK, too! Good to see you.
C x

mandy4727

Visit site
Really nice horsey by the way. I don't think he is too thin at all. My dentist said to me last year that so many people are obsessed with having fat horses in winter. And that is so wrong. Horses naturally build up fat in spring, summer and autumn to get them through the winter. And all those feets that are on the market to put weight on in winter are wrong. It is how horses would naturally be.

Litorio

Visit site
Hello!
grin.gif
Yes he's settled in a little better but the college have started majorly butting in with his progress and tell me i am not bringing him back into work fast enough. don't think they know he is 18 as they have written out an exercise programme for him that i'm suppost to keep to.

Think they are being way too involved and i'm not following their plans. i will probably be leaving the college by the end of the week anyway as i'm not enjoying my time here.

how is marius?? hope the handsome little man is doing well
smile.gif

Wooleysmum

Visit site
Not too thin at all. So many folkies keep their horses and ponies far too fat. better on the thin side to avoid laminitis, I had a porky wee cob who got it so he is never allowed to get fat again.. Yours looks a great horse in great shape!

mrsbloggett

Visit site
No way is he too thin. I would say he's fine. Having just spent the last six months battling with laminitis with my (previously, now alot thinner) tubby NF, I would keep him as he is.