Too warm to rug, too grubby not to ...

Mrs B

Visit site
H has a neck & belly clip which is doing its job for this time of year. Happy with that.

BUT. He's just started to come in at night and it's a good box, so no need for a rug for warmth with that clip! Prefer to leave a hunter clip to later in the season, so he can be out and about commando on days like today, even though it rained: weeks of winter coming up when he'll have to be rugged so the more naked/light rug days now, the better!

He's a skewbald with lots of white bits which are currently green and brown and smelly ... :oops:

Is there any such thing as a very light stable rug which keeps the squishy stuff at bay?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
If Bucas rugs fit him well, they do a 50g stable rug which is the lightest weight I've found, after stable sheets and fleeces.

yhanni

Visit site
I struggle with this too. My boy is disgusting - poo between the ears disgusting! But I don't want to rug him really - he's fat & furry & I don't ride enough over the winter to justify clipping him but I get looked at when we attend clinics etc. No hot water at the yard & wouldn't wash him in cold. Never having a grey horse again ever ever!!

WandaMare

Visit site
Sadly I have recently lost my skewbald horse but I won’t miss the stable stains, she was a hot horse naturally which made things more tricky, I looked forward to cold nights so I could rug her.
Personally I would clip more so that I could pop a no fill on him night and day. Mine had a no fill Amigo on with a high trace or blanket clip from late Sept and a cotton sheet before then.

tatty_v

Visit site
I just use a no fill rain sheet over night to repel stable stains. My grey wears it all year round at night unless it’s particularly warm. He never sweats up unless it’s 25+ degrees, in which case I brave the inevitable filthy pony in the morning and leave him naked!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have nothing helpful to add, only sympathy as I had a grey for a few years, who I ave just sold. Luckily, she had a very light coat so whatever squished through the lightweight rug could be washed off in the morning.

Thank goodness that my new, 15.1hh maxi-Shetland has a black coat! It is hugely think and I couldn't really wash it daily. I intend to clip in half term break.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been using a thick cotton summer rug. I always like to put some sort of rug on when they are stabled as they can't walk about like outside. He has been clean underneath.

Mrs B

Visit site
Thanks all! Just wondered if anyone made such a thing ... maybe I need to get inventing again ... :D

In the meantime, will just cut the neck off an old no-fill sheet that is no longer waterproof and just use that while we still have just the neck & belly clip.

C24

Visit site
I put a no fill rug on to keep mine clean in the stable and I change between a 0g or a 50g fill for turn out at the moment.
He’s a black Welsh D so doesn’t get stable stains but gets so unbearably dusty and his dark coat makes it really obvious. I don’t know what I hate more - the wet mud and poo marks in the winter or the dust and grass stains in the summer ??