Took my daughter out on a hack today!!!

nikCscott

Visit site
Well.... I've been umming and ahhhing for weeks about taking her... 'is she too young? (6yo), Have we had pony long enough?' will my horse behave?'. But J and the pony are getting bored of going around in circles in the field and she was starting to not want to ride, so today i though lets try, if it's too much we can turn around and come home.

It was AMAZING! She did really well as did her pony (he's a great pony but no plod either) we had one wobble when a dog came thundering down a gravel drive barking and it was all a bit to much for the horses but J just grabbed her neck strap sat tight until I managed to get us all passed. We had to go a different way to the one i've taken him before, so we had to go over a level crossing, so explained to J to hug him with her legs and he gingerly walked over (but walked over all the same!). She rode him independently of me and kept him on 'their side of the lane' and we even had a short trot on the way home.

So proud of them both and of Z for having to be the grown up whilst i faffed over them. We had some funny looks 11hh sec and 16.2hh WB.

PROUD MUMMY!:D:D:D

Sherbie

Visit site
thats great, it must feel good now you have both been a hack together. Cant wait until I can hack with my daughter. Its must have been such a nice surprise for your little one :D

bumblelion

Visit site
Wow! Well done! Hoping my daughter will love horses as she gets older (she's only 15 months!!). Would be so nice to ride together!! :)

OFG

Visit site
Well done!

I remember when I took my son out for the first time, so worried (more about him and his ability than what my horse would do though as he is a gem).

Still have him on the lead rein when out together as he just isn't that confident and although pony is good if she set her mind to it I think she would happily go in the direction that took her fancy. J gets too worried and 'freezes up' and then can't steer etc.

I used to get strange looks when I used to take my mini shettie out ride / lead. My boy is only 15.2 but when you are leading a 32" pony which can stand under the other horses belly it does look funny :D They used to lead out really well together. RIP Fudge :(

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
Well done!
I'm quite lucky in the fact that the person who owns Bub's pony Jazz also has a super trooper of an elderly gent who she rides and leads from.
Granted however, the first hack they went on I sat with baited breath on the yard until they came back.

Nosey

Visit site
Sounds brilliant..glad you both had a good time. I love it since I've been able to hack out with my daughter.really special mum & daughter time & we have some lovely conversations!

nikCscott

Visit site
Thank you

It was really nice to have some rare 1 on 1 time with daughter J, not sure when we'll get the chance again.

Z is 100% in traffic and normally sound as a pound, but is still an 8yo WB :eek:

Only have 1 photo from after as I had my hands too full to take one from on board :eek:

So here is one from after (excuse Z having his clockwork 'post ride pee')

IMG_1188.jpg

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Oh well done, and what a great pic. :D

I remember going through the same with my daughters, I was a nervous wreck imagining all the things that could possibly go wrong. Now my youngest daughter is 17 ( 4 when she started ) and she is galloping off on her eventer .... and I cant keep up! :D

Hope you get lots more lovely hacks together, it is such a special time.