Toomer Farm XC (Long)

Shazzababs

Visit site
I went to Toomer Farm to a Hunter Trial on Saturday, its a new venue around here (Sat was only their second event I believe). Anyway someone asked me to post a report on the course and here it is!

First let me say that it felt like a really friendly place. Its not a BE course, but they have made an effort, the fences are well made and well sited and the ground was as good as could be expected for an ameteur course on fields which are obviously used as grazing some of the time.

OK the course, I was doing the 2'6". Lower than usual because the mad CB has been trying to kill me XC recently. This was the second of the 4 heights (2'3", 2'6", 2'9", 3'0"-3'3") Most of the fences are the same for each course, just at different heights, I'll try to say what they were if I can remember them.

Fence 1 - Straw Bales going up hill. Nice
Fence 2 - Friendly Chair with a roll top.
Fence 3 - Step up to a bank, and then down a slope and over a log (2'3") or over a log and off the drop.
Fence 4 - Roll top with a 'fake' ditch in front filled with flowers, this was fairlt spooky as you couldn't see the flowers until the last stride.
Fence 5- 2'3" = Another roll top. 2'6" - An up to height but friendly tiger trap. Others a nice Trakener going up the hill.
Fence 6 - 2'3" - An Open Ditch. 2'6" - A very upright fence made from sleepers with a MASSIVE ditch behind. This caused a lot of problems and IMHO I thought it was too technical for the height of the course as the upright meant that you couldn't give it the 'welly' required to clear the ditch with confidence if you were riding a true novice. 2'9"/3'0" - something ditchy, it was further up the hill and I didn't go to look!
Fence 7 = An up to height phesant feeder going downhill on a pretty decent slope.
Fence 8 = 2'3" - A Roll top with a drop and a large ditch behind.
Others - A Ski jump, larger 2 courses also had a ditch behind. The drop from the back rail was a good 5'. Again IMHO this fence was well built but I though was too much for the novice height of the class.
Fences 9 - 10 - A Suspended log followed by an brush. Lovely.
Fence 11 - The Water, 'tiny' step in and out. Rode well all day. Largest class has a palaslade 1 stride from entry.
Fence 12 - 2'3" - They had a wall. Other classes had an angled double of uprights. Not up to height and rode well.
Fence 13 - 2'6" - Log Pile with a big drop. Bigger classes had an up to height wall with a big drop. (2'3" go on to 14).
Fence 14 - Big square hedge, fairly tight turn from the previous fence though.
Fence 15 - Coloured barrels
Fence 16 - Corner for the largest 2 classes, double of uprights for smallest. Friendly with groundlines for all.
Fence 17 - Small steps up (2'3"), with palislades, top only for 2'6, bottom and top for bigger classes. Need to bounce the distances really.
Fence 18 - Sleeper upright with a groundline.
Fence 19 - Tyres.

With the exception of fences 6-8 (which I missed out because I wanted a forward round with no fights
grin.gif
) its a nice course. However unless your horse is really bold and doesn't like to look at his fences I would drop at least one height the first time you go. If I'd had time to walk the course on the Friday I probably would have done the 2'3", something I've not done for several years!

It would also be a great place to go ditch scooling as I think they have about every variant going! I'm definately going to go before the autumn events, as I don't want to be missing out fences then.

Oh and BTW, my boy flew round, and jumped everything I asked him too really well. No upturned turtle impressions (from me), and only one cat leap. He was really pelased with himself, and kept putting in little excited bucks after each fence. He felt like he did before our enforced 12 months off for a miriad of sick horse, rider and truck problems! Yea, back up to the normal height for Moreton in a couple of weeks. He likes it there
grin.gif

Well done for getting to the end! If anyone fancies going ditch schooling here I am happy to arrange a session.

lucygunson

Visit site
hey thanks for this, sounds like a fab place to take my silly ex racehorse over the 2ft 3, we went to the Warminster saddle club on sunday for schooling think it would have been better if his brain was with his legs - he is usally a star but he was having a racehorse day and jumping like a muppet although i made access to his brain half way round and had some nice jumps then!!!
grin.gif

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
I had a walk round there on the first hunter trial and thought oooh i could bring my boy here as i'm only down the road (10 mins in the car), so i might be taking you up on the offer as i'm a newbie to xc and would love to give it a go. I know he's done it with previous oweners and i thought the course doesnt look to taxing. Just got to find someone to give me a lift!

Shazzababs

Visit site
Where are you?

I'm near West Camel\Sparkford, and could pick you up on the way if you wanted.

Not sure its a good first timers course though. You might be better off going to Stockland Lovell or Pontispool first.

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
I'm in Templecombe. I dont mind where i go tbh, he likes his jumping, my problem is not having transport! Trying to save but either another vets bill crops up or in my case now he needs a new saddle as his other one caused him to have a sore back, so i dont seem to be getting anywhere...! But if you were able to that would be fab! I'm desperate (once i've got him back into work, been off for just over 3 weeks) to get going as i finally have a horse that i can do something with!! pm if you prefer
grin.gif
grin.gif