Tooth Abscesses

Baldybear

www.freewebs.com
Hello!

Havent posted for ages. Have a 13.2pony who has just developed a tooth abscess on his bottom jaw. Vet has been down and he is on antibiotics, but it looks likely that he may have to have his tooth out. Was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep. Usually problem free, apart from six monthly dental checks rather than annual, as the teath above the missing one won't have anytning to wear down on.

I_A_P

Visit site
my mare had a toth root abcess and a big swelling appeared n the outside of her face.
the vet said it was a tricky and serious opration but so far we have had no problems,

SpeedDemon

Visit site
My boy had a tooth out earlier this year. He recovered really well and has had no problems since. However, he is going to have to have extra dental work at times since the tooth in the opposite jaw does not have anything to wear down on. Also, he does end up getting food stuck in the hole which is left which can give him stinky breath. I was advised to spray the hose in his mouth every couple of days to try and wash it out. He doesn't like this much tho!

Hope it goes OK if he does have to have the tooth out.

I_A_P

Visit site
thats wierd my mare has built up flesh filling up the hole, where the tooth was taken out from. she had half filled the hole withing 2 months!! so hopefully now its should be just gummy rather than a hole.

speed demon-whereabouts are u in suffolk? and which vets tooj the tooth out?

Louby

Visit site
My boys had his cheek tooth out too. It is a large op under GA and they removed a bone flap from the side of his face and knocked the tooth out from the outside in! Yuk. He had an eventful recovery with post op complications for almost a year. Fingers crossed it seems alright now. He was four when it was done and apparantly the younger they are the harder it is to remove. They did try to wriggle it loose to remove it under sedation but the damn thing fractured so it ended up a GA. All I can say is if you can get away without removing it then do. It cost more than £5k with months of after treatment ie drugs, trephines etc but fortunately I was insured. My boys was a rear tooth so hopefully your horses wont be one of them and will come out easier.
Good luck, Keep us posted.