Top quality lessons/sharing

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Hi. I've ridden all my life but thanks to a stressful job and painful mortgage I haven't had my own horse for about 8 years. I was riding at Contessa pre-COVID and recently been riding more regularly at Lee Valley (as Contessa has ceased trading). However I keep being put on 14h shaggy riding school ponies which are just not my cup of tea - and sweet as they are, are still a bit of an anticlimax after the privilege of riding those Contessa schoolmasters.

So I'm desperately looking for either somewhere to go for intermediate advanced lessons in and around London or for someone with a suitable horse that might be looking for a sharer.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions for somewhere with more sporty/advanced/adult horses to ride AND/OR for an introduction to anyone that might be looking for a more experienced sharer a few days a week.

I love schooling and hacking happy to have a pop of some jumps etc. if helpful to add variety to horse's routine.

I'm 5'6, 8.5 stone, 40 years old and desperately keen to ride at least twice a week. I'm
patient, gentle, have an independent seat, and relatively bold/confident outlook (i.e the horse doesn't have to be bombproof robot!)

Happy to pay properly for the privilege!

Thabj

SO1

Visit site
I am riding at Trent Park. I am between horses after loosing my new forest on 29 July after 15 years so riding at the riding school.

They have over 150 horses including some sportier types. I am only 5.1ft and prefer ponies but have been on the larger horses at the riding school including 16.2.

They do have a lot of cobs but they start you on the steady types and then you progress to the more advanced ones. They have quite a lot of working liveries.

I go there twice a week once after work on Wednesday or Thursday for a group lesson and once at the weekend for a hack.

I enjoy it but missing having my own pony and will be looking to start searching to buy again in the new year. I will be getting another new forest so cannot help you with sharing opportunities as it will be too pony for your taste.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi. I've ridden all my life but thanks to a stressful job and painful mortgage I haven't had my own horse for about 8 years. I was riding at Contessa pre-COVID and recently been riding more regularly at Lee Valley (as Contessa has ceased trading). However I keep being put on 14h shaggy riding school ponies which are just not my cup of tea - and sweet as they are, are still a bit of an anticlimax after the privilege of riding those Contessa schoolmasters.

So I'm desperately looking for either somewhere to go for intermediate advanced lessons in and around London or for someone with a suitable horse that might be looking for a sharer.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions for somewhere with more sporty/advanced/adult horses to ride AND/OR for an introduction to anyone that might be looking for a more experienced sharer a few days a week.

I love schooling and hacking happy to have a pop of some jumps etc. if helpful to add variety to horse's routine.

I'm 5'6, 8.5 stone, 40 years old and desperately keen to ride at least twice a week. I'm
patient, gentle, have an independent seat, and relatively bold/confident outlook (i.e the horse doesn't have to be bombproof robot!)

Happy to pay properly for the privilege!

Thabj

Have you told them that the 14hh shaggy ponies are not your cup of tea? I don't know the school in question, but most would have a spread of horse types.

Most people will get started on the shaggy pony, for safety, and if someone looks happy enough then they will likely stay on them as they are likely cheaper, easier to keep and more plentiful than sports horses.

To move up to a more sporty model you may need to have private lessons though, not sure if you are already having these?

teapot

Visit site
If you’re used to Contessa schoolmasters, you need to try Trent Park, or further afield (and thoroughly recommend) Wellington. There’s also Lomond which is Gatwick way if you’re after Spanish schoolmasters.

Lee Valley has a limit to what they can offer.

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Thanks so much to you both. They have really limited horses there and because I'm relatively light I get the small shaggy ones as they have to save the bigger weight bearing ones. I'm only having private lessons - group lessons would drive me insane. I used to event to novice level so can definitely stay on, and I've (apparently) been given the most advanced rider rating so am allowed ride anything - but it's a case of them juggling capacity with not enough adult aimed sports horses. Trent Park sounds like an option with lots of horses...

Luckylocalian

Visit site
If you’re used to Contessa schoolmasters, you need to try Trent Park, or further afield (and thoroughly recommend) Wellington. There’s also Lomond which is Gatwick way if you’re after Spanish schoolmasters.

Oh I will try Wellington thank you!

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Ah
I am riding at Trent Park. I am between horses after loosing my new forest on 29 July after 15 years so riding at the riding school.

They have over 150 horses including some sportier types. I am only 5.1ft and prefer ponies but have been on the larger horses at the riding school including 16.2.

They do have a lot of cobs but they start you on the steady types and then you progress to the more advanced ones. They have quite a lot of working liveries.

I go there twice a week once after work on Wednesday or Thursday for a group lesson and once at the weekend for a hack.

I enjoy it but missing having my own pony and will be looking to start searching to buy again in the new year. I will be getting another new forest so cannot help you with sharing opportunities as it will be too pony for your taste.
ah thank you anyway super appreciated

daydreamer

Visit site
You could have a look at hemps green equestrian and see if the journey is do-able. Good rail links to London. Competition type horses and they mainly cater for able riders/those doing exams etc.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would look at sharer option too. There are some very nice horses out there for share and you could still have lessons on a share horse.

Facebook is probably the best place, Hertfordshire Horse Riders and North London Horse Riders are 2 groups that get a lot of traffic. There will be equivalents east and west of London.

Many shares aren't advertised but put your own advert saying what you are looking for and hopefully you'll have a choice.

Luckylocalian

Visit site
I would look at sharer option too. There are some very nice horses out there for share and you could still have lessons on a share horse.

Facebook is probably the best place, Hertfordshire Horse Riders and North London Horse Riders are 2 groups that get a lot of traffic. There will be equivalents east and west of London.

Many shares aren't advertised but put your own advert saying what you are looking for and hopefully you'll have a choice.
This would be my ideal to be honest - I would love the opportunity to build a relationship with a single gee gee. I will post. Thank you.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
Is there nothing you can share at Lee Valley? They expanded their livery yard a few years ago. My friend had a share there.

I rode there many moons ago and the riding school had quite a few horses that were more sporty, but I guess times change. They were all very well schooled, too, but that might have been something to do with the fact that Judy Harvey ran the place back then.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The only thing I would say about sharing at a riding school is the lessons and school work have to take precedence and you may not be able to get access to the school when you need to. Please s you'll probably have to use school instructors and they can be more expensive than a private instructor than comes to you.

Barlow

Visit site
Not sure which side of London you are, but if towards the east you could always take a look at white horse farm schoolmasters in Kent