Topline on a non-ridden?

Equi

Visit site
So a little history first; ive had my newest gelding (13yo) for about 8months, he needed very unbalanced hooves sorted and horrific teeth sorted, so over winter could not be worked and ive just been so busy this last few months with the youngstock i havent had a chance to start anything with him.

His history is that about 6 years ago he was on loan but owner at the time went to check up on him to find him skeletal (which is incredibly hard to do to a miniature horse!) so he was fed back up and then sold when fit to someone looking to drive him. Person didn't and put him in a field, to then get morbidly obese. Old owner then contacted me when she saw him for sale on facebook and asked me to take him. The result is that he is now a bit of a weird shape, still a bit pudgy in places but skinny in others. He has zero muscle over his topline to were i can feel his spine. Im going to worm test him again for both fecal and tape and follow the instructions that gives me.

So, im going to try starting with the basic hill walks and lunge/longline a bit to fitten him up, i havent got my arena finished so i can't free school which i would prefer. He can't be ridden obviously and im reluctant to drive him on the roads here, or drive him much at all until he builds up a little. What else can i do though to get that topline? Most of my tricks are only for ridden horses so not sure where to start with a non-ridden one - how can i replicate getting him to work long and low into the contact and raise up his back and use his core etc?

Photo of the man in question, a few weeks ago, looking ever so happy to be alive. Ill admit hes a bit rounder in the belly since this pic (damn grass) but i picked it because hes wet in it and thus shows more than i think a floofy photo would.

61041030_10217191851885840_4534055094437543936_n.jpg

Goldenstar

Visit site
You certainly can get decent top line on a horse without riding .
I do a lot of my back development work walking out and about lunging in the stretch and working in hand .

gunnergundog

Visit site
How can i encourage him to stretch on the lunge?

Watch any of the Manolo Mendez videos or join the various facebook groups, or buy the dvd if you're feeling flush. One of my horses has been worked primarily in hand since last August due to physical health issues and has just had to have his saddle widened by over half an inch now that he is ready to be ridden .

Equi

Visit site
Thank you - just watched one and already picked up the gerat tip about placing the whip under the belly to get them to suck up. That will be very useful!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
It may be worth testing him for metabolic diseases EMS & PPID which could be contributing to the fat distribution.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Take a look at art2 ride on Facebook while I am not without reservations about their system it’s a certainly makes you think about stretching