Torn Pectoral muscle

Jnhuk

Visit site
Just wondering if any peeps have experience of this, how things turned out in the end and how long it took to come right/if they came right 100% after it.

Physio attending my gelding just now and we suspect he did this larking about the field. I am now applying heat to affected area which he is enjoying have just started short walks in hand for him on the level as well on advice of physio but no other exercises/stretches yet

He lives out and not lame but the area is tender to touch. Taking it easy and thinking that a good break over the winter from riding to recover probably the best thing for him.

PorkChop

Visit site
We have one that gets tight pectorals, but no experience of it being torn I'm afraid.

Tbh I can't imagine it will take too long to come right.

I would alternate hot and cold to the area, we have specific stretches to do to this area on Physio's advice.

If he isn't lame then I would be working him quietly.

wyrdsister

Visit site
LP did this as a four year old, belted around her field and skidded into a fallen tree! She had 8 weeks off with in--hand walks and turn out in a restricted area so she could mooch but not hoon, and weekly physio with laser therapy. She came right pretty fast and never had another problem there.

ETA: LP wasn't lame either, but did have a cracking haematoma for a while. The tear was diagnosed via a scan and the treatment regime the combined effort of our vet and physio. Hope your horse recovers well.

Last edited:

Jnhuk

Visit site
Thanks for the reassurance. He getting weekly physio atm. We did cold therapy whilst still swollen but now that receeded so on heat twice a day and in hand walking for 10 mins. No haematoma but he did give himself a cracking one of those in same area when he fell over the field (witnessed that one!) larking about as a two year old.

Physio recommended no riding atm and to get a fleece cover for his girth for when we start back riding

millitiger

Visit site
Heat as often as you can.
No riding.
Ultrasound therapy every day.
Massage mitt every day.

Mine was off for around 6 weeks and then slowly back into full work, area was still massaged every day for another 8 weeks.

Back to completely full work with no repercussions.