Tortoise found in a cardboard box

exracehorse

Visit site
My friend who is just a stones throw from my yard saw a cardboard box on the verge this morning. She dismounted and opened it up. To her dismay inside was a tortoise. Someone has left it in this horrendous heat. No water. No food. Think some water had been initially left in a child’s play frying pan inside. The poor thing had died. It’s been horrendously hot with 36 degrees on Friday. Some people are so cruel. Found at Newton Green. Sudbury. Suffolk. A60F142D-088C-4150-9E1B-687A28E58364.jpeg

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Shell condition says it hasnt been well looked after either. Thankfully now it will get a good home and a life it deserves. Great find, I never find anything like that and i go out of my way to open random bags and boxes i see in the hope its a box full of puppies or kittens or something, lol :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Shell condition says it hasnt been well looked after either. Thankfully now it will get a good home and a life it deserves. Great find, I never find anything like that and i go out of my way to open random bags and boxes i see in the hope its a box full of puppies or kittens or something, lol :D
unfortunately it has already died :(
how sad :(

exracehorse

Visit site
Yes. Vet said shell condition was bad. It had been dead a while as flies in the box

exracehorse

Visit site
Horrible horrible person. They've left it in a box with bedding and piddly bit of water so they don't feel too bad for abandoning it and in hope someone will find it but didn't care enough to take it to a vet or zoo. Poor little thing :(
Exactly. Why go to the trouble to pack it all up. Drive to a rural location. Dump it and go home. Why not surrender to the local vet. Or even leave on their doorstep. Not in the blazing heat on the roadside where it died.

Antw23uk

Visit site
It makes you wonder about the persons mental state as tortoises aren't cheap and if they stuck it on preloved or freecycle or something someone would have snapped it up for a few quid. I dont want a tortoise but if id seen an ad for one in bad condition for a few quid i would have gone and got it. Just completely unnecessary to abandon it :(

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yeah there are lots of soft hearted folk that would have taken care of it, for sure.
different circumstances but I found a very tired and sad budgie on the side of the road once - never kept birds before, never wanted to (not sure about the ethics of cages tbh) but it needed a home and no one claimed it. I enjoyed learning about keeping them and I'd have done the same if any other random pet appeared tbh ;)

Reacher

Visit site
I hope the OP’s friend plasters this all over Facebook pointing out the suffering that they caused that could have been easily avoided if they had just taken it to a vets / rehomed it ?

scats

Visit site
I really hate humans sometimes. My cats and their mother were chucked on a friend’s drive in a cardboard box when they were 5 weeks old. Thankfully all found lovely homes due to my wonderful friend taking them in, caring for them and rehoming them.
There are plenty of rescue places nowadays if people search Fb. I just wish people would at least given these animals a chance rather than discarding them.

exracehorse

Visit site
? maddening. I have a tortoise and have done all I can to learn how to look after it (no idea on sex!) properly The shell shows pyramiding which sadly lots of people see as normal but it’s a deformity from lack of correct care.
There are lots of tortoise rescue and rehoming places. Absolutely no excuse for this :(
Yes. Vet said shell was bad. And not in great condition

holeymoley

Visit site
Omg this riles my blood. In this day and age and with the power of social media I’m sure someone would have taken him in. Absolutely no need for that. Poor wee soul

GSD Woman

Visit site
This is one reason why I hate humans most of the time.
To tell the gender of a tortoise look at the bottom shell. If it curves in a little bit it is males.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This is one reason why I hate humans most of the time.
To tell the gender of a tortoise look at the bottom shell. If it curves in a little bit it is males.
I didn’t know that! I was told it’s to do with tail shape. Mines in the garden but I’ll look later when I bring him/her in. I’m pretty certain it’s flat