Total change to my horses life!

maxapple

Visit site
I have a 20 year old tb. Usually this time of year he is living in at night, rugged up and starting to drop weight despite Adlib hay, feed etc.

He moved to retirement livery on a farm in August. He is currently living out 24/7 in a natural herd environment with good grass still and unlimited hay and is naked still!! It's a total revelation to me. He's a great weight, his feet are so good and are wearing down naturally inbetween trimmed and he's grown his own wooly coat. He's probably the best he has ever looked this time of year.

I don't think I could have made it work at a yard but out on the farm he has amazing hay, great shelter and lovely fields to roam in. It's really made me realise how horses should live in a perfect world.

And it makes me happy to see him so happy and well

Spring Feather

Visit site
I find the same at my farm. I have some older retired horses who came in not such great condition but they all absolutely thrive in this type of environment. I think it's the low volume of visitors, the carefree, easy life they lead in a secure and never changing herd. Nothing is expected of them, they are fed and they have everything they need handed to them. I so enjoy having the old retired horses here, they're a pleasure to be around and it's heartwarming watching them mosey about their fields.

I'm so pleased your horse is happy. Your reaction is the reaction I see from my owners each time they come and visit. Good retirement homes are worth their weight in gold and it seems like you have found a perfect one for your boy :)

julie111

Visit site
I have had to retire my pony, he isn't in a retirement livery but is living out 24/7 in a herd in big fields, lots of natural shelter and a stream. He is loving it! I see him every day and I'm enjoying my pony cuddles with 10 of them:) It is so lovely to watch them interact with each other and just be horses.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
What a lovely post, such good news that he is thriving. Our horses were very happy in the herd we had years ago, we had a stallion, mares and geldings all living together as a herd and they were very happy and chilled out, we lived in the middle of nowhere, i dream of that ideal for Nell one day too, less the stallion mind :)

If I ever had the land and opportunity I would love to run a retirement livery :)