Tough turnout rug for rug ripper.

willhegofirst

Visit site
I'm after recommendations for turnout rugs that are tough, but cheap. I moved my lad to a private yard three weeks ago, to start with the resident gelding ripped his rug at the back, much to his owners distress, but as they have settled I now think my lad is ripping his rugs by rubbing on trees, yesterday he totalled his rug so I need to find something that may put up with a bit more rough treatment, my plan is next winter not to clip or rug him. He doesn't seem to be hot under his rugs, but has always been found of scratching.
TIA

Shay

Visit site
Anything on sale with 1200D or more will hold up better. You can get rugs up to 1600D but they are more expensive. My personal view would be that if he is scratching on things to the extent he rips rugs then he is uncomfortable for some reason. Not necessarily too hot only - but itchy. But you know your own horse - we can't see him!

asmp

Visit site
Daughter has just bought a Maxima rug which is 1200D and was reasonably priced. She likes the fit and how waterproof it is but isn't so impressed with the Velcro on the neck. It isn't strong enough and keeps coming undone (it's a combo rug). I like Ruggles, which are tough too but if I was you, I'd try and buy second hand rugs if they are just going to get trashed.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm after recommendations for turnout rugs that are tough, but cheap. I moved my lad to a private yard three weeks ago, to start with the resident gelding ripped his rug at the back, much to his owners distress, but as they have settled I now think my lad is ripping his rugs by rubbing on trees, yesterday he totalled his rug so I need to find something that may put up with a bit more rough treatment, my plan is next winter not to clip or rug him. He doesn't seem to be hot under his rugs, but has always been found of scratching.
TIA

If it were me I would no ness in this order:

1. walk round the field to see if I could see something sticking out or braches that could be doing this.
2. make sure it is not the other horse doing it (recent livery did this to all our rugs)
3. Buy cheap rugs - second hand.
4. get a skin scrape from the vet, make sure there is no skin disease or mites or fungal infection etc
5. Check for pin worms

There are many on face book selling rugs £ 10 or such

willhegofirst

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I do plan to check the trees, but he is literally on the side of a hill, very natural turnout, it's great but going to take a bit of time to go round. He has always been a bit itchy, never found the reason and I've had him since a yearling, he'll be sixteen this year.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Horseware Amigo Bravo 12 Plus has proved fairly tough, but my guy is fairly sensible.

You could always go for an old-school NZ? I'm pretty sure you can still get them at a fair price from, wait for it, NZ!!!

Heavy nasty things but they will withstand an RPG.

pootler

Visit site
Love them or hate them, I have had a rug ripper and bought Premier Equine Titans as they are 1680 D, the rug ripper couldn't rip it!! I have never bought one full price in the 8/9 years of using them, I wait for a sale (ideally Black Friday.....)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Give the field a look over, as ILuvCowparsely suggested and where there are objects that can snag the rug, replace them with objects that can't. Broken or jagged fence posts, tree branches: repair, replace, prune.

Buy yourself a cheapish rug with fasteners that suit you, some sailmaker's needles, a bobbin of Tiger thread and a few yards of Kevlar fabric.

Use the Kevlar fabric to jacket the outside of the rug.

Visit site
You need something at least 1200D. My nightblind mare hasn't managed to rip hers yet and she has been known to walk into fences :lol:
But they don't stand up to bum biting field sharers either. 1680D has always appealed but is pretty expensive.

willhegofirst

Visit site
Give the field a look over, as ILuvCowparsely suggested and where there are objects that can snag the rug, replace them with objects that can't. Broken or jagged fence posts, tree branches: repair, replace, prune.

Buy yourself a cheapish rug with fasteners that suit you, some sailmaker's needles, a bobbin of Tiger thread and a few yards of Kevlar fabric.

Use the Kevlar fabric to jacket the outside of the rug.

I like the Kevlar idea, will look to get some, plus the tiger thread. The rug he trashed I had patched with an old rug, the patch was torn off, the thick thread I'd used didn't stand up to it.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
The only virtually-indestructible rug we've ever had was an Axiom turnout - they were only ever available on eBay in the UK as far as I know, but disappeared some time ago, however I found this website abroad which stocks them: http://www.shophorserug.com/Winter-Blankets_c2.htm?page=all

Their 1800D turnouts are a worthy investment in my opinion. I don't know where that company are based or even if they would ship internationally but worth a look I think.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
This is a good explanation of the importance of the Denier count, and comparison of "ballistic" nylon with other materials.

1000D nylon with Dyneema ripstop looks like it might be good for covering over a cheaper rug.

My earlier recommendation of Kevlar cloth sewn with Tiget thread might be revised to ballistic nylon sewn with Dyneema; you can buy Dyneema as braided fishing line. In fact, I think I might have a reel of it somewhere...

Last edited:

willhegofirst

Visit site
The only virtually-indestructible rug we've ever had was an Axiom turnout - they were only ever available on eBay in the UK as far as I know, but disappeared some time ago, however I found this website abroad which stocks them: http://www.shophorserug.com/Winter-Blankets_c2.htm?page=all

Their 1800D turnouts are a worthy investment in my opinion. I don't know where that company are based or even if they would ship internationally but worth a look I think.
Funny enough the rug he totally trashed was an Axiom, though it was old, I can't remember what denier it was, definitely not 1800D. I loved it, it fitted him a treat. I was quite disappointed when they stopped selling them over here.

willhegofirst

Visit site
This is a good explanation of the importance of the Denier count, and comparison of "ballistic" nylon with other materials.

1000D nylon with Dyneema ripstop looks like it might be good for covering over a cheaper rug.

My earlier recommendation of Kevlar cloth sewn with Tiget thread might be revised to ballistic nylon sewn with Dyneema; you can buy Dyneema as braided fishing line. In fact, I think I might have a reel of it somewhere...
Thanks, I will look into that.