Towball

holeymoley

Visit site
A question I find myself asking more and more as I’m using my trailer more often now is, should I grease my towball? And if so, what with?

I have never ever greased it, however only towed once in a blue moon. Towbar was fitted last year and hardly got used. Now used at least once a week.

phizz4

Visit site
Some people will say the don't bother but I do. Eventually the head of the tow ball will wear, and it could get to the point where the wear is enough for the hitch to come off over a jolt or bump in the road. They all wear eventually but I think, as the gease isn't expensive, it's worthwhile. The only time I don't grease is if I am towing the caravan, which has an antisnake 'Alko' fitting, which relies on friction to work, but I've never come across a trailer with one of those. Put a small amount of grease in the protective plastic cap and you are done.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thanks is there any particular brand of grease? I do think there should be something on top to prevent the metal on metal friction/wear.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Any grease will do the job, the ideal is graphite grease, that's used by people who tow all the time. You probably tow once a week maximum so ordinary grease will do.