Towbar fitting and Trailer Recommendations

Arabella77

Visit site
Sorry I know this has probably been done to death but I’m looking for some advice on getting my first trailer....

I was luckily enough to just about pass test just in time, all those years ago, so have my B&E licence!

*Car is a 2015 BMW X3 2.0
*Horse is a 14.3hh 4yo Connie (about 475kg)

Would like a double (ideally with tack room/change area but know this will make it heavier) but would consider a mare/foal one, though it would be handy to bring my friends pony along at times (her pony is a 13.1 chunky mini cob)

is my car up to the job? Really hoping it is with a light enough trailer? Also looking for towbar fitter recommendations in Leicestershire area!

thank you ?

holeymoley

Visit site
It can definitely tow a single trailer(i tow with a 2.0 X1) , I’m certain it could tow a double ifor with probably two ponies but you’d have to be more specific about the model of the car and check the towing weights.

Last edited:

Arabella77

Visit site
It can definitely tow a single trailer(i tow with a 2.0 X1) , I’m certain it could tow a double ifor with probably two ponies but you’d have to be more specific and check the towing weights.

Thank you ...oh at least it can tow a single that’s reassuring....really would prefer a double but will see if anyone else can offer any guidance on this?

Arabella77

Visit site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...kw=anker+BMW+X3+Towbar+2015+Tow+bar+&_sacat=0
Any of those fit your model?

Towbar fitter near me in LE4 fitted one to a van for £100 including the electrics - electrics took the most time!

Wow that’s great I’ve been quoted £470 from one so far ??‍♀️I’m confused about the towing capacity of my car. I can’t get my dumb head around it...
To confirm it’s a BMW X3 X-drive 20D SE Auto 2015 if that makes any difference?! Any idea?! Thank you ?

holeymoley

Visit site
Wow that’s great I’ve been quoted £470 from one so far ??‍♀️I’m confused about the towing capacity of my car. I can’t get my dumb head around it...
To confirm it’s a BMW X3 X-drive 20D SE Auto 2015 if that makes any difference?! Any idea?! Thank you ?

It should be stamped on the frame of your drivers side door. I think you either have 2000kg or 2400kg towing capacity.

I can’t remember what I was for ky towbar, I think it was £350 or thereabouts.

ROG

Visit site
Find the weight plate usually hidden in a door frame or under the bonnet
I need the top 2 of the 4 numbers on it

Arabella77

Visit site
Find the weight plate usually hidden in a door frame or under the bonnet
I need the top 2 of the 4 numbers on it

is this it? It was inside drivers door..many thanks ?

Attachments

• 80948981-B45F-4C03-B1EC-5DD1D0E066D3.jpeg
    80948981-B45F-4C03-B1EC-5DD1D0E066D3.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 9

ROG

Visit site
Neither pics are helpful as I cannot see any weights which will have KG
Max towing capacity should be listed on V5 doc
Plate will be something like this
2200kg
4200kg
1200kg
1200kg

ROG

Visit site
Sorry...on vehicle details it says technical permissible maximum towable mass of trailer:
Braked (kg) 2000
Unbraked (kg) 750
In that case you can tow a max of 2000kg behind your car
Lets say you got a trailer weighing 1000 empty then that will leave you with a 1000kg that you can put inside the trailer (if trailer is plated at least 2000kg)
If got 2 x 475kg horses then that is 950 kg in the trailer so if not wanting to put it near the limit with tack then put tack in the car

gemisastar

Visit site
I should think that with the size of your Connie you'd be OK with a bateson Derby trailer which weighs 675kgs unladen - rear unload only but I only load and unload my horse backwards and she copes fine

Arabella77

Visit site
thanks all....so I need to look for lightest doubled trailer possible I think and doesn't look like I will be bale to get one with a tack room/change area unfortunately but ill survive!!.....dare I ask the best ones??!!

Annagain

Visit site
thanks all....so I need to look for lightest doubled trailer possible I think and doesn't look like I will be bale to get one with a tack room/change area unfortunately but ill survive!!.....dare I ask the best ones??!!

Not necessarily. An IW505 / 506 is 900kg unladen (and plenty big enough for a 14.3) so with just your horse on it would be around 1400kg. Even the 510/511 is 100kg so would only be 1500kg loaded. That's well within your car's capacity. There are lighter trailers out there but you don't NEED a particularly light trailer. IW are so popular that they're easy to come by second hand and parts are readily available which is always worth considering. I'd avoid the early 506/511s as they had a load of teething issues. A later 505/510 would actually be better than an early 506/511. If you only ever take the one horse, you can use the other side as storage / change area with some lateral thinking. A friend has attached a plastic garden storage chest to the trailer to stop it moving and uses that to store all her stuff.