Towing a Trailer - do u really habe to do another test??

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Ok, now I know you are meant to take a test to tow a trailer, BUT from what I have read on the DVLA website, you dont need it for ALL trailers!

Going By this:
<span style="color:blue">
Unladen weight

The unladen weight of any vehicle is the vehicles own weight when not carrying any goods or burden. This is:

* inclusive of the body and all parts which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road
* exclusive of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle

Maximum authorised mass

The term maximum authorised mass (MAM), which is also known as gross weight and permissible maximum weight, is the maximum weight of the vehicle that may be used on the road including the maximum load the vehicle may safely carry. This is normally shown on a plate fitted to the vehicle.

If a vehicle is unlikely to be used at its potential maximum weight most vehicles may be downplated, i.e. the vehicles springs or other components can be changed, so that only a lighter load can be carried. The maximum authorised mass or gross weight is a factor in determining what driving entitlement is required.

Train weight

Train weight is the combined MAM of the vehicle and the trailer it is pulling.

And this:

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

* a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas

* the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.</span>

I seem to calculate that If I drive my dads Jeep (which is 1.640tonne) then as long as the MAM of the trailer does not exceed 1.64 tonnes I can tow it?! So I COULD tow a horse in a trailer , as a single horse robinsons trailer has a gross capacity (MAM) of 1.20tonnes. Which makes 2.84 tonnes total.

Am I 'technically' right here? <span style="color:blue"> </span> <span style="color:blue"> </span> <span style="color:blue"> </span>

MagicMelon

Visit site
Uhhhh.... I think you should email the DVLA about it, or speak to your nearest test centre who should know, your nearest one is probably the one I did mine with - based at Blackdog estate I think, going out of Aberdeen on the coast road. It is very confusing. We looked into it and tried to see if we were under the weight but we weren't once a horse was inside! But you have a single trailer which will be lighter than my double. But then if you think about it, are you only ever going to have a single trailer? If you ever get a double then chances are you'll need to have passed the test for that. And remember your age comes into it which Im sure you know.

I ended up taking the stupid test, passing on the 3rd damn attempt! Total waste of time and money, I learnt absolutely nothing - only to get worked up and very stressed out about reversing the stupid thing into a little parking box thing (like when would I EVER do that in real life!!).

_jetset_

Visit site
Echo Kermie... most trailers carrying a horse/pony will go over the legal weight. Just do the test, it's not too bad. I did it last year after 4 days of lessons, and I am now confident driving and parking it because of this.

Iestyn

Visit site
You would be very hard pushed to find any combination of vehicle and horse trailer to tow legally under the 3.5t limit, and definitely not with a Jeep. The jeep may weigh 1.64t but what is it's MAM? Normally double horse trailers will weigh around the 1t and an average horse about 1/2t each. It's the potential weight you need to be concerned about and not the actual weight. For example, my Ifor 510 has an MAM of 2.6t and my Discovery has a MAM of around 3t - that's a potential weight of 5.6t. I did the test a few years ago - it's worth getting it done, becuae to be honest with you it's not worth the risk.

Sooty

Visit site
We went through all this before Troggy took the test. It is more to do with the potential weight rather than the actual weight. Once you add the MAM of the tow vehicle, passengers, horse(s), tack etc etc, it is certain that you will be over the 3.5tonne limit. Best to do the test and not have to worry.

Vicky7041

Visit site
Bateson trailers are the only trailer that I know of that are very lightweight, designed to be towed by cars and you DO NOT need to take your trailer license to tow them.

Iestyn

Visit site
You can't say that until you know what the MAM of both the vehicle and trailer is. The BATESON DERBY has a Gross weight of 1700kg and the MAM of a Ford Mondeo diesel estate is 2185, then that gives a total MAM of 3885kg - over the 3500 legal limit. It's not the ACTUAL weight that the authorities take into consideration, but the POTENTIAL weight that your outfit COULD weigh if both car and trailer were fully laden. It says on the Bateson website that the Derby is the only trailer that could come under the 3.5t limit - but that means you'd have to have the trailer down rated, could only ever carry one horse and would have to tow with a family hatchback sized car - something I would never, ever do. That's personal choice, I accept that, but I would never put myself, my horse of other road users in that risky position. These cars aren't designed to tow live weights like that - they are unsafe and it shouldn't be encouraged. It pi**es me off big time that I, and many others, have gone to the cost and effort to do our towing tests because it's been introduced for a damn good reason, only for others to take risks and try and get away with not doing the test. If people can't afford to do the test, or can't afford a sturdy vehicle/ trailer combination then maybe they should re-think their plans with their horses - there's being mobile, and there's being responsible and legal about being mobile.

lea

Visit site
I will have spent £600 on lessons and a test when I come to take it in early November. I was mad at having to do the test at first but I have learnt so much in my lessons. For example like having to accelerate out of bends to keep the trailer level. However after my lesson on Saturday and totally messing up that 'reverse into a bay' manouvre I have lost the will to live ... does anyone have any tips for that part of the test?