Towing a trailer - where to test??

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Was having this convo with my mate yesterday, and she was told by the DVLA that there is no where to actually test someone to drive a trailer (well in the North East of Scotland anyway).

So what exactly are we meant to do? I'm taking driving lessons now, and once I pass was planning on learning ot tow. Last time I towed was at college and that was with a massve tractor and a trailer.

But if there is no where to teach you, no where to test you, what do you do?? Woudl you just tow and forget getting a licence?

lisal

New User
Visit site
There are actually test centres in Aberdeen and Elgin for your trailer test and there is an instructor in Balmeddie under the name of "Flying Colours"

I would highly suggest NOT towing without doing your test as if you have an accident whether its your fault or not it will make it very difficult for you to claim

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't tow without the correct licence because if you are caught, or anything happens ie an accident, you will probably find that you will be prosecuted for driving other than in accordance with your driving licence & additionally No Insurance because your insurance would be void. I kid you not....don't do it.
frown.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You can take your test at any HGV test centre.

I learnt with BSM.

Check the age limits - have a feeling you need to be 21 to tow a trailer.

No you shouldn't just tow, you will lose your licence. Plus I don't like newly passed drivers on the roads, let alone one who hasn't even passed their trailer test. Being on the road with people who are old enough not to have to take the test is one thing as at least they have plenty of driving experience, but a new driver does not have the experience to tow IMHO. Please don't be that irresponsib le -think about others on the road and the poor horses you're towing too.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Yeah, dont worry I wouldnt!

I'm 24 soon so deffo over 21! Ive towed trailers for a while, but only around my parents land etc, never on the road.

From what my dad - who has been driving for nearly 40 - said tonight, I dont actually think people who passed before jan 97 would have any more skills to be able to handle towing than someone who passed a few months later. I think everyone should have been made to take the test!! The amount of people we passed today doing 50+ IN THE TORRENTIAL RAIN, with horse trailers was ridiculous!!!