Towing a Trailer

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Hi

I have a BMW 320d (company car) which was bought with a factory fitted tow bar and enhanced suspension and an Ifor Williams 505 trailer.

I have been towing one horse all summer with no problem. She is a 14.2 Welsh Section D - although very lean for a D. My tow weight is 1800kg and the trailer weighs 950kg.

Do you think I could pull two horses or will I have to buy a second car. The second horse is a 16 TB ex race horse - who is quite skinny at the moment although my daughter assure me she will be feeding him up.

Thanks for your help. (again)

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a BMW 320d (company car) which was bought with a factory fitted tow bar and enhanced suspension and an Ifor Williams 505 trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally wouldn't tow one horse with that, very likely to have control problems.

Sorry.

Alibear

Visit site
Id be happy towing either/ or but not both of them at once

they're each going to be around the 500kg mark I guess? So both would be 1000kg + 950 for the trailer and your over.

I did know a lady who towed two big eventers in a 510 with a volvo diesel estate , hill starts we horrible to behold and there was no way I'd ever have gone with her.

LifeofRiley

Visit site
Check out the DVLA website on weights and towing capacity- I thought that the weight of towing vehicle must not excede weight of trailer laden weight as gives control problems.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Personally I would not attempt with two unless they were both small ponies.

I have a Bateson Derby which is only 650K for my 14.2 gypsy cob and that is plenty with my car which has a tow capacity of 1300 k. The most I would tow would be two 12.2 ponies.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I have checked out the weight of the vehicle etc and all that is ok. I have towed one horse every weekend through the summer with no problems at all - up steep hills and through muddly fields.

I know it is not an ideal car - got the car before I read up about these things - and as it is a company car I am stuck with it for another three years. I suppose it is the weight of the horses I need to know.

It will be a pain to buy another car - as I have had my car stolen three times in three years - have no no claims bonus as I have been a company car driver for the past 20 years - and therefore insurance will be unbelievable.

But I wont do anything to put the horses at risk.

Theresa_F

Visit site
If it helps, I believe that Direct Line will take into consideration company car policies - I know they did with my OH.

If you do need a 4 x 4 - get the most scruffy (but sound) thing you can buy - I did this, and the same with my trailer and so far they have stayed put. If you are not going far, an old series 3 landy could be worth considering. I had one for years, cheap insurance and tax exempt and parts dirt cheap for repairs.

ecrozier

Visit site
I personally wouldn't risk the two, I am even debating changing my SWB pajero as my OH is getting a new horse and she is a 16.2 ISH, so with her and my boy, we will be about 2000kg and they are capable of about 2400 I believe, but want to be well withing capacity if we are travelling both regularly!

Iestyn

Visit site
Absolutely not - you would be illegal. Cars aren't even designed to tow one horse, let alone two. I cringe every time I see a car towing a horse trailer - espeically when it's not a pony inside. They're not safe and they're not heavy enough to control the live, moving weight that you're towing. I have a 16hh TB (also ex-racer) but I have an Ifor 510 and Discovery. Personally I wouldn't tow with a much smaller vehicle - I did have a Freelander and would never have towed 2 with that, let alone what you're suggesting.

VOSA are really clamping down and pulling people up to weight them now - be ultra, ultra careful.

BTW - I really liked the pics of your new horse. I hope he looks after your girls!

Iestyn

Visit site
That would have been completely illegal. A BMW 320d has a towing capacity of 1800KG. An Ifor 505 has an unladen weight of 905kg. If you have 2 16hh l/w horses you would be looking at 1000kg. That would mean a minimum of 1905kg - you already over the legal towing limit of the car before you add hay, water, tack, people. Then you have to consider the GTW (Gross train weight). If you'd had an accident then your car insurance would be invalid, your horse insurance would be invalid and your third party liability would be invalid should someone else have been injured. Is it worth the risk? Igonrance is not an excuse.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
No - I understand this - and have only ever towed one horse to date. I believe I am within the legal towing limit with one and was just asking about two.

By the way- if you look at the Ifor Williams brochure - you will see a picture of a BMW 320d towing the single horse trailer!

Iestyn

Visit site
Sorry Nuala - I was replying to Gingerbird in that one - are you reading in Threaded or Flat mode? If you click on threaded (to the right above the post) then you will see which each post replies to - makes is MUCH easier to follow!