Towing cars on a budget

clairencappelli

Visit site
I have to make a desion on what to do about transport.

I have a lorry that was SORN due to the chassis rotting away, the back is fine just old but is a good alloy box but ob would need a new transit of similar to go on. I also has a 2007 505 classic edition trailer that is in lovely condition.

My BF has a van and tow me to shows but i this wont work long term so i need to sort myself out but as always money is an issue.

I could sell my traier as its worth around 2900 and use the money from that to buy a chassic with but if i do this i have a second lot of tax ( 21.00 a year ) and another lot of insurance for it so could work out just as expensive as running a bigger car.

I only have a small car thats worth about 3.5 k and i dont really have anythingto put towards this. I only need to tow my one horse and i can downplate my trialer for a very small cost to stay on the right side of the law.

I know freelanders are meant to be crap at towing but i cant afford a big big car and cant afford something like a kia sorento of a hyandai santa fe i dont think.

According to the kerb weights website a freelander can legally tow 2 tons which is fine as the trailer has no partition just full length breast bars as the van can only tow one anyway.

Does anyone tow with a freelander? What cars on a budget do you use for towing and how are they on fuel - obv not cheap but how in general?

I desperatly want to get my independance back as im missing out on things due to BF work commitments and its silly when i have a trailer sitting there i cant tow!

perfect11s

Visit site
there is a sticky towing thread in CR forum for the legals.. anyway if you have a towing lntitement B+E or a pre 1997 licence you just need to know how much your trailer and its load is and the vehicle will tow that weight or a little more prefrebly .. some big cars may work out powerfull enough like a v70 volvo , e class merc etc or one of the many biger 4x4s like a pajero, surf, trooper, fortrak . cherokee , discovery dont waste you money on a freelander or other toy 4x4 ..

OFG

Visit site
Am in same predicament as you!

OH has a 4x4 and has just fitted a tow bar which I bought so I can use vehicle BUT he is rather precious about his things and isn't always happy it comes back with specs of horse hair in :rolleyes:

You could take a look at a Subaru Forrester. They aren't the prettiest of cars but are 4x4 and have a very good engine. Estate type so good for getting horsey things like feed / bedding into.

DON@T get a Freelander. Family member had one and she said they were s**t and she didn't even use hers for towing!

ROG

Visit site
Do you have a B or B+E licence?

What is your current car and what are the figures for that ???
GVW =
Unladen/kerb =
Towing capacity =

What are the figures for the trailer ?
Unladen/empty =
MAM =

Pocket_Rocket

Visit site
We had a Toyota Hilux Surf which was fab had it for 2 years bought it for £1k and have just traded it in and got £1k back part exchange! lol Was fab but was starting to get a bit old got a Jeep Grand Cherokee now LPG conversion and its fab luxury inside a lot more power than the old Hilux. And LPG is half the price of petrol. Basically got the Jeep for £3k (£2k and the Hilux). Best advice would be have a look around. Personally I wouldn't touch Freelanders I have two friends that had them and they both got scrapped because they needed so much work for the MOT's and they weren't really up to the job of towing but it all depends on what engine you get. The Mitsubishi Pajero's are supposed to be really good to I know a few people that have got on really well with them. Just have to watch the fuel consumption if you can an LPG conversion. We were lucky that our Jeep was already converted but think you can have it done for around £1k which is worth it in the long run. Hope this helps :)

clairencappelli

Visit site
ok thanks! Just had a look at the grand jeep cherokee ones and thats just the ticket i think. Im not fussy about looks but must be ablem to do the job i need it for.

Keep the suggestions coming please while i scan autotrader lol