Towing help

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I've recently been offered the use of a trailer, however I don't know if my car is capable of towing one (Volvo v50). It would only be used for towing one pony (roughly 400kg). Is there any websites I can use to check this - or has anyone had any experience towing with this vehicle?
Also if it is possible to tow with this car I need a towbar fitted to it. Looking on the internet there seems to be dozens of different ones - what am I looking for to be able to tow a horse trailer? Thanks!

ROG

Visit site
I've recently been offered the use of a trailer, however I don't know if my car is capable of towing one (Volvo v50). It would only be used for towing one pony (roughly 400kg). Is there any websites I can use to check this - or has anyone had any experience towing with this vehicle?
Also if it is possible to tow with this car I need a towbar fitted to it. Looking on the internet there seems to be dozens of different ones - what am I looking for to be able to tow a horse trailer? Thanks!

Which is your V50 in these lists ? =http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/cars/volvo/v50/specs-stats/dimensions/

Will you be towing on a B or B+E licence ?

What trailer will it be ?

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Sorry I can't seem to follow that link. But it's an 08 reg and I think 1.8L. Towing on a B+E license, not sure what brand the trailer is but I will check later.

ROG

Visit site
Sorry I can't seem to follow that link. But it's an 08 reg and I think 1.8L. Towing on a B+E license, not sure what brand the trailer is but I will check later.

I think the towing limit is between 1300 and 1500 but it can be confirmed easily by you by looking on the V5 keepers form under max braked towing weight OR by the weight plate usually hidden under the bonnet or in a door frame using the top two of the four figures and deducting the top figure from the second figure

As you have B+E then the towing limit is likely to be the only issue when you find the empty weight of the trailer and add it to the 400 for your horse

When you know what trailer it is then I can usually find its empty weight on the internet

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
It's a Richardson trailer. If this is alright to tow along with the pony then I think my main issue is the towbar - how much would to get one installed (roughly)?

ROG

Visit site
It's a Richardson trailer. If this is alright to tow along with the pony then I think my main issue is the towbar - how much would to get one installed (roughly)?

Cannot help with empty trailer weight unless I know the model

Cannot help with towbar issues - not my field of knowledge