Towing - HiLux Surf? any good....?

Scarlett

Visit site
am on the hunt for a decent 4x4 to tow my 2 boys and trailer (hopefully a 505) - had a Jeep Cherokee 2.5tdi previously, however OH isn't too keen on them and as it will be our main car and he is paying for it I have been weighing up alternatives...

had a look through the previous threads on here re towing, however I didn't notice anyone mentioning anything about towing with a Toyota Hilux Surf. I've seen a few at local events and they fulfil the criteria we have so was wondering if anyone on here has towed with one and can recommend them and/or confirm what the max towing weight they have actually is? Have read differing answers between 2200kg and 2800kg....

any advice would be much appreciated....
smile.gif

claire1976

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic, my favourite 4x4 ever and I'd have most of them now!!
Effortless to tow with, although not sure of max weight it should easily do 2500kg.
You have to go for the 3litre one though, don't touch 2.5l as they have probs.

Marilyn

Visit site
My husbands got a Hi Lux twin cab (or something like that) and it's a fabulous towing vehicle. We've never actually towed a horse but quite recently we lowed a very heavy bed settee in a small trailer for 2 hours on a motorway and it was amazing. The steering is wonderfully light (far better than my focus) and it's got some real grunt.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thanks guys...

Claire1976 - havnt heard that about the 2.4's.... my friend had one - never towed with it though - and I know she had her head gasket go twice, but apart from that it was bulletproof....

Gingernags

Visit site
Haven't got the Hilux but I have got a twin cab pick up truck - I've got the Nissan Navarra though. 2.5 diesel and tows reall, really well.

I've hear some pick ups have a problems with the back end drifting round corners unless you have something heavy in the back, but mine doesn't do that at all.

Has plenty of guts for towing and I don't even feel the trailer and 2 neds on the back, but its good and steady.

Hell to park though!!!!!
grin.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
my friend got a navarra to tow with as she read it was one of the best you could get - and it was..! never had a prob with it other than it being too big for parking spaces in the multistoreys in Glasgow...!

I'd love a navarra but they are just a that little more than I want to pay right now - next year, however......

Marilyn

Visit site
my OH's is a 2.4 but that's a valid point about having something in the back, the ride is certainly not as good when the back's empty