Towing legislation, who's right?

MrsNorris

Visit site
I was told a while ago that you could be prosecuted if the plated MAM of your trailer exceeded the towing capacity of your car, even if you only ever take one horse and you never actually exceed the towing capacity.
Met a chap today who says this is total rubbish and that you can only be prosecuted if you are taken to a weighbridge and it is proved that you are exceeding your cars capacity.

I'm about to buy a new tow car with a towing capacity of 2500kg, which is a bit lower than the plated MAM of quite a few trailers, so I've been looking at trailers plated under 2500kg, but do I really need to?

Anyone know the correct answer?

Last edited:

ROG

Visit site
I was told a while ago that you could be prosecuted if the plated MAM of your trailer exceeded the towing capacity of your car, even if you only ever take one horse and you never actually exceed the towing capacity.
Met a chap today who says this is total rubbish and that you can only be prosecuted if you are taken to a weighbridge and it is proved that you are exceeding your cars capacity.

I'm about to buy a new tow car with a towing capacity of 2500kg, which is a bit lower than the plated MAM of quite a few trailers, so I've been looking at trailers plated under 2500kg, but do I really need to?

Anyone know the correct answer?
There is not nor ever has been a law or rule which stated that the towing capacity of a vehicle must be able to accommodate the plated MAM of a trailer ...... but there are plenty of internet myths that say otherwise !

This is a legal example with a B+E licence

Vehicle
Empty 1700
GVW 2300
Max load 600
GTW 4300
towing capacity 2000

Trailer
Empty 950
MAM 3500
Max load 1050

MrsNorris

Visit site
Oh that's great news, so I can have the trailer of my choice without having to worry, yay!! Thanks guys.

Northern Hare

Visit site
The following is from the Ifor Williams website, under FAQ:

"My vehicle has a maximum towing weight of 1500kg and my trailer has a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. Can I still tow this trailer?

Yes, as long as the unladen weight of the trailer you are towing combined with the trailer load does not exceed 1500kg, then you can tow this trailer with your vehicle.

There is no legal requirement to downrate the plate on your trailer.

Drivers must also possess the appropriate driving licence with B+E category for towing this particular trailer combination as well as adhering to tachograph rules, if applicable."