Towing query

Brummyrat

Visit site
For a mate....told her someone on here will know, you've never let me down yet! She's got a shogun and trailer but passed her driving test after 1997 and was under the impression that she could drive as long as she had someone old, like me (!!) with her. She's since been told that this isnt true and she can't drive at all. The DVLA were no help and their website is confusing, so..... is she resigned to getting lifts or can she drive? Over to you lovely people
smile.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
now I have been told both, that someone old with you is fine.

I have also been told that it needs to be someone who has passed their test, not just has grandfathers rights.

I know many people that just use old people though and have been unable to find anything that says otherwise on any of the websites, that it just had to be someone who could drive the outfit.

Kallibear

Visit site
As far as I am aware she can drive her trailer as a learner driver. She therefore needs L-plates on and someone who has the correct license sitting beside her (you get the same license whether you've passed the test, or are just an old foggy
wink.gif
- there seems to be no distinction between the two and no way of telling).

HOWEVER, she needs to check her insurance!!!!! She will no longer be drving with a 'full license' so her car will needs to be insured for learner drivers :many insurance companies won't insure large cars for that. I was all set to practise in the Merc M270 (big 4X4) until we checked the insurance and they won't cover me for L-plate!
frown.gif

jens

Visit site
in my understanding you can tow with an oldie in but have to have L plates on to be legal? Not sure if this is 100% but is my understanding.
I am also one of the unfortunates who passed after 1997 as i couldnt afford lessons before then but luckily have a lovely OH to take me places :)

titch

Visit site
You can tow with anyone who can legally tow the trailer (whether they passed before 1997, or have taken the test) as long as you have L plates on. There are no restrictions, ie you can still drive on the motorway etc
smile.gif

I agree with checking with insurers though, make sure they are aware of what will be happening
smile.gif

Steeleydan

Visit site
Why doesn't your mate just go and take the trailer test then she is legal to take their selves rather than have to rely on you being sat at the side of them. Don't know how much this costs but I'm sure you could research the internet for this.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Great, thanks guys, we're dining on chinese tonight yummy, and i said i wouldnt be surprised if id got an answer by then so you've surpassed youselves! Ok, so she's ok with me or her OH next to her as we're old, but only on the basis that learners are covered on her insurance and she puts L plates on. Hmmm, i can see me having to drive her but i dont mind, she's kind enough to insure me for the toys too!! Thanks again, if anyone thinks different please let me know xx

Brummyrat

Visit site
steeleydan i asked her this but she'd been told it was pricey and as her horse is getting on in years and she's saving for her wedding next year and then wants kids, she doesnt think it's worth it. I dont mind going with her, for the above reasons, she's been very kind to me!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
When I took my towing test, BSM told me that I could tow with L plates on with someone in the passenger seat who was eligible to tow as well (so either someone who had passed the test, or someone who passed before 1997). My dad used to come out with me, as did the BSM instructor. I believe that the person in the passenger seat with you has to be insured on your car (hence my dad coming with me), or have their own car insurance which allows them to drive other people's cars. A friend of mine wanted me to sit with them while they learn to drive their trailer but I can't as I have a company car and am only insured to drive that car, not others.

I certainly didn't have "learner" insurance, just my normal insurance.

D

Donkeymad

QR
I'm certain the Insurance for learners point is correct. You would be learning to drive in a Category that is not yet on your Licence, therefore you are NOT insured and the Insurers must know.

dornrose

Visit site
The person supersvising does not have to be insured on the car, as long as the driver is insured for the vehicle this will meet the legal requirements, good idea to check with insurance company though as some will try to wriggle out of paying in the event of a claim.