Towing trailer on motorways etc.. Towing in general!

Michen

Visit site
I've just bought a trailer and my tow car should be rocking up in the next month or so. I have an ifor505 and will be towing with a VW Tiguan 4WD which has a towing capacity of 2000kg. My gelding is about 500kg so towing around 1400kg in total.

I'm starting to get really panicky at the idea of towing on motorways and A roads. Even in my friends 7.5 tonne lorry we could feel the large lorries overtaking us on the motorway today. I'm starting to feel quite worried as to how my car and trailer would cope with that when it's so much smaller!

I am also painfully aware than I am not towing with a big 4x4 though I am keeping well under the cars towing capacity. Unfortunately it's my only option as its a company car.

I am driving myself mad reading horse and hound threads about trailers being sucked in by lorries and flipping over even when being driven slowly!!!!!!!

If anyone has any good advice and tips I would be very grateful :) I have passed my trailer test but still feeling worried by it all! I would consider myself a confident driver and I do about 35,000 a year for work so I am very used to motorway driving, just not with my precious boy in the back!

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I found a blade type stabiliser made all the difference. When I was 17 yrs old I had to tow with a 1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier, and to stay legal I had a very lightweight rear unload only trailer. With no stabiliser it was awful and wriggly, with one it was fine.

Michen

Visit site
No idea what that even is- off to google thanks :)

I found a blade type stabiliser made all the difference. When I was 17 yrs old I had to tow with a 1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier, and to stay legal I had a very lightweight rear unload only trailer. With no stabiliser it was awful and wriggly, with one it was fine.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe with a towing weight of 2 tonne - my trailer is an old Rice trailer and weighs just under 1t and my horse is about 600kg. I have been overtaken on motorways by lorries and buses and really fast cars and have been fine. yes, there have been wobbles but all perfectly controllable and nothing scary. The only time I wont tow is in high winds but I know loads of people like that

alainax

Visit site
Just keep to a sensible speed and dont do any harsh braking and you will be fine. I tow my horse trailer on motorways a lot, and have never had any worries with it :)

If anything I would plan a route with motorways, as its the narrow twisty brakey turny roads that are more of a pain!

Equi

Visit site
I drove on a motorway/dual carriage way the entire length of ireland, and never had an issue. Just try not to panic. Slow and steady is always the best way to go and to hell with everyone else :)

Michen

Visit site
Gosh no I wouldn't tow in high winds. That's fab to hear thanks. Hoping the fact my car is new/modern will help with stability etc as well. Thank you :)

I tow with a Hyundai Santa Fe with a towing weight of 2 tonne - my trailer is an old Rice trailer and weighs just under 1t and my horse is about 600kg. I have been overtaken on motorways by lorries and buses and really fast cars and have been fine. yes, there have been wobbles but all perfectly controllable and nothing scary. The only time I wont tow is in high winds but I know loads of people like that

Shutterbug

Visit site
Gosh no I wouldn't tow in high winds. That's fab to hear thanks. Hoping the fact my car is new/modern will help with stability etc as well. Thank you :)

To be honest my trailer wobbles more when my horse kicks or leans than it does when lorries go past haha :D

nato

Visit site
I try to drive on Motorways/A roads wherever possible, much prefer them! Just try to stick to the left-most lane wherever possible and don't do mad speeds or braking. I've never had any issues, I towed 3.5 hours across country in winds and was fine I just took it handy.

rifruffian

Visit site
towing in general.......the most important aspect for me on the road is to look well ahead, think well ahead to avoid the need for heavy braking. For example when approaching a planned motorway exit or a roundabout, start slowing down well in advance and do not feel pressurised by the existence of other traffic close behind you.

Equi

Visit site
To be honest my trailer wobbles more when my horse kicks or leans than it does when lorries go past haha :D

I never thought a horse that leans would have much impact until i had to drive one that actually did. It was quite shocking! He even set the sensors off on my wheels so i had a "flat tire" for about 20 miles lol

ROG

Visit site
If it does start to feel a little unsafe then take foot off accelerator (no braking) and let it settle before increasing speed again

asmp

Visit site
Over the past two years have towed for hours all over the south of England and much prefer driving on the motorways or dual carriageways - it gives a much smoother ride for the horse. I tow with a VW Touareg and IW 506 and try to keep between 55 and 60mph. Sometimes I feel myself creeping faster than that but feel safest at under 60mph. The biggest worry I find are the lorries that can get very close behind trying to overtake. I am considering getting a cheap camera and putting it on the rear of the trailer!

asmp

Visit site
A good tip I was given when I bought my first trailer was to assume that all traffic lights might change. Approach slowly so you don't have to brake hard but be aware that if your trailer goes through on a red light you can be fined (as my friend was)

Makemineacob

Visit site
The thing to do is take your car and trailer out without your horse, do a couple of trips on different roads and pretend you have your horse on board, I found the practice when I was due to tow for the first time (many years ago!) was invaluable. Hubby always told me when towing to pretend you have fine china in your trailer and you can't break anything, made me think about my acceleration, breaking and cornering. Taking your time and driving steadily is the key. Being overtaken on the motorway by lorries isn't as scary as you imagine, the movement to your trailer is generally a lot less than you think.

Above all, give yourself plenty of time whenever you take your horse out.

furrycat

Visit site
I fairly recently bought a towing combination similar set up to yours. I had never towed in my life although I have a pre 97 licence so no test required. I was quite apprehensive about it all too.

I've now been out to all sorts of places in the last couple of months, and I love it! I tow in motorways, A roads, B roads, everywhere! I don't feel the car move at all on the motorway when lorries go past. My horse travels really well in the trailer, which I was also concerned about as she has never been in a trailer before.

It is natural to feel apprehensive but once you get out there you will be fine! My car has a 2 ton capacity too and I tow a 505 with one horse and it copes easily up and down steep hills, on the motorway, everywhere. I used to have a 3.5t van and I much prefer having the trailer.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I used to tow with a Freelander (2t tow capacity) and an IWT 505 with one 500kg horse. I towed all over the SE with it plus some longer journeys and on m-ways and never had a problem with it feeling unsteady. I took some trailer towing lessons (although I didn't need to take the test) and the instructor was really impressed by how the trailer was so steady and balanced on the road - they are great trailers IMHO. If you take it steady and keep really focused on the road ahead I am sure you will not have ant problems.

My instructor said to drive as though you've got a priceless crystal vase sitting on your bonnet! It helps you think about accelerating away carefully, slowing down and taking corners.

I also found that the more I towed the more confident I became. I would suggest hitching up every weekend and taking the trailer out for half an hour - you'll get super fast at hitching up as well! Take it onto the motorway at a quiet time unladen to start with and choose a quiet time like early Sunday morning to get your confidence. Also, i appreciate this probably sounds daft, but I had a favourite CD of very relaxing music that I would always put on in the car when I towed!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
You ll feel more confident the more you drive - I don't like motorway driving but do it and only wimp out if there are high winds. I notice that you are using a company car to tow...I hope I'm not throwing a spanner in the works but I wasn't allowed to fit a tow bar or tow anything with my company car as the insurance would be invalid and the fleet supplier didn't allow it...

rowan

Visit site
Think what Red-1 was talking about is a Bulldog Anti Snake Stabiliser we use to tow caravans and horse trailers and used one of these never had any trouble with the wind or lorries passing etc

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
The 505 is a great trailer and incredibly stable...as the others have said its all about anticipation...spotting things plenty in advance and preparing for the approach of the hazard not reacting to it!

Re lorries... The trick is to stay above 56mph... All Uk lorries are strictly governed to 56mph....they can not go any faster unless they are going downhill! What annoys hgv drivers are cars/vans travelling along at 50.... If they are heavily laden they have to plan their overtakes over a period of a mile!! Thus if you stay just above 56mph they won't bother you!

Luci07

Visit site
I have driven many miles during my job and towed my trailer for quite a few years and I hate towing on the motorway with a passion.

Coming on, getting off is painful because people invariably try to cut in. I also found that very large lorries coming past could rock my trailer a little, so I would decrease my speed enough so that I could accelerate as the lorry passed. I never got anywhere quicker as 50mph is my top stable speed when towing. I don't want to even risk the trailer starting to swing. My combination was a jeep towing a bateson with at least a 600 kg horse in so not lightweight.

60 mph is not safe if towing. You compromise your stability.

Michen

Visit site
Haha this was one of my conditions when I accepted the job. Lex auto lease are fitting the towbar themselves (at my expense), the fleet insurance has been altered to accommodate. The only thing I have to do is have separate recovery insurance for the horse to be recovered.

I wouldn't just be going and sticking tow bars on company cars with no thought but thank you for the concern.
You ll feel more confident the more you drive - I don't like motorway driving but do it and only wimp out if there are high winds. I notice that you are using a company car to tow...I hope I'm not throwing a spanner in the works but I wasn't allowed to fit a tow bar or tow anything with my company car as the insurance would be invalid and the fleet supplier didn't allow it...

Michen

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone for the advice really appreciate it. Though I'm getting more confused about the lorries overtaking. Some people say accelerate a bit others say not to? Would it be right to assume you should accelerate slightly but not if the trailer has started to move a little?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone for the advice really appreciate it. Though I'm getting more confused about the lorries overtaking. Some people say accelerate a bit others say not to? Would it be right to assume you should accelerate slightly but not if the trailer has started to move a little?
If you are near Leicester I will go out with you for FREE (with my expenses covered if any)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've been towing an IW511 for quite a few years now with my 2.8 auto Paj. Works well - even with two big horses aboard (much more stable with 2 - unless one manages to free himself and go for the other!) The only time I EVER had a trailer nearly get out of control was with an older trailer towing with a Land Rover - I got just over 40MPH - in quite a bit of wind - and the ruddy trailer started to swing badly. With my ruddy OH sitting beside me saying: "Stop, stop!" I ignored him and just eased the accelerator - which took a bit of time to work as we were going downhill - but got it back under control quite quickly and learned my lesson. 40mph is my TOP speed when towing unless on the motorway when I'll risk 50 in good weather. And I stay in the slow lane where absolutely possible.

stormox

Visit site
Farmer Chalk- Im sure most big lorries go a lot faster than 56mph on a motorway! I dont feel safe towing at 50+ mph, I like to keep under 50 because of the time it takes to stop safely in an emergency. Here in Ireland the maximum speed at which a trailer or caravan can be towed at is 80kph -50mph.

Luci07

Visit site

You reduce speed slightly to allow you to accelerate when a big lorry is passing. Not sure if it would be classed as a slipstream but that is what I found to be the safest way.

ROG

Visit site
Farmer Chalk- Im sure most big lorries go a lot faster than 56mph on a motorway! I dont feel safe towing at 50+ mph, I like to keep under 50 because of the time it takes to stop safely in an emergency. Here in Ireland the maximum speed at which a trailer or caravan can be towed at is 80kph -50mph.
56 mph MAX for LGVs although you may find 1 in 10,000 who has done something naughty to exceed that

Speedos on LGVs are calibrated but cars are not so a LGV 56 can read 60 or more on a car

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm an experienced tower, and I tow at 50mph max. My outfit (LWB Shogun and Ifor 510) is rock solid. At 50mph, we can easily withstand buffeting by overtaking HGVs, lorry wheel grooves in the road, braking when idiots cut in front and whatnot. Once my speed ups to 60mph, I have much less wriggle room in hand, so I don't go there.

The problem is that 50mph, as previously mentioned, is not fast enough to be safe on a motorway, you need to be travelling at HGV speeds. HGVs pick up a hell of a speed on a downhill stretch! This means that I avoid motorways if at all possible, and certainly avoid peak times.

A nice straight dual carriageway with not many roundabouts is the ideal road to tow on, IMHO :).