Towing Trailer

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Might seem stupid questions...but...a)can someone who passed their test years ago (40 years ago) tow a trailer without doing the new test?? and b) how much does it cost to take the test for someone who passed their test after 1997?? (including instruction)?

LauraBR

Visit site
If you passed 40 yrs ago you are fine to tow.

Re costs for post 97ers... the test itself is around £70-£80 I think, and then like any driving test it depends on how quickly you manage it....

Chex

Visit site
According to one site test fees are £89.00 on weekdays and £107.00 to do it at weekends, although that seems a bit weird that it changes! When I researched lessons, they were quite pricey, about £30 each. But I guess it depends on how much you can practice without an instructor

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
There is nothing to stop you taking a few lessons with an instructor to master the basics of towing. I tow my Ifor williams trailer 40 odd times a year with our horses and it takes 100% concentration to do it.

It would be money well spent IMO

MagicMelon

Visit site
As others said, if you passed ages ago then yes your fine to tow.

It is expensive to take. Lessons cost me about £60 for 2 hours each time. Test itself was between £90 - £110 (depends if you do it at weekend etc.). Bloody expensive to do it all, especially if you have to resit the test 3 times........... oops.

TBH I didnt learn anything new. Id been driving the trailer for years before doing the test and found experience alone was best. You learn to drive as if with nothing in the trailer so I found it very weird to have to accelarate far quicker, brake later etc. I always got told off for driving too carefully (because I was used to having a horse in there!) which I dont think is a bad thing! Wow, I learnt to reverse perfectly across a road missing stupidly placed cones into a parking bay bit - I have NEVER had to do that manouvre in all the years Ive been towing! Emergency braking was crap - again, if I did that with horses in the trailer, they'd be through the front!! It mainly took place in a very busy city as well when to be honest, I would never choose to drive right through the middle of a crazy city with horses!!

But anyway..... if your nervous or worried at all then sure do it as Im sure it would be useful. Hope I havent put you off, I just found it a little pointless from the point of view of towing horses as it is different!