towing trailors QUICK RESPONSE PLEASE

carmenlucy123

Visit site
boyfriend has just squeeled that he bought me a trailor for christmas.
problem is im 21 passed my driving test after 1997 obviously need another test...
but what about insurance?
do i have to insure it to drive it?
or just incase it is stolen.

the watcher

Visit site
Your towing car insurance should cover the 3rd party liability whilst on the road, but if you want to insure against theft you will have to do that seperately

Lucky you !
smile.gif

pottamus

Visit site
You don't have to be insured to tow a trailer (so long as you have the appropriate driving licence) but it would be a very good idea to insure it against damage or theft...they go walkabout on a very regular basis. Do you have somewhere secure you can park it? Even with wheel clamps on they can be stolen quite easily...

carmenlucy123

Visit site
i dont understand if i told them i was towing a trailor would they up the anti on the price? i dont want to insure it if its stolen its stolen but can i just pass my test and tow it?
or do i have to tell my insurance company?
i dont even think my car can tow it!!!
he hasnt thought this through!!!

SSM

Visit site
That seems to be a very cavalier attitude towards a present- if it's stolen it's stolen
confused.gif
Trailer insurance is not too expensive and can be bolted onto your horse insurance....do you have that?

Re VW towing, unless it is a super light new trailer with a very lightweight pony on board the answer to that is no - sorry!

the watcher

Visit site
No, the VW won't do it..if you check the small print on your policy you will find probably that the trailer attached to the car is covered, you don't have to tell them.

If you don't care about it being stolen you are worrying me a bit..just how cheap is this trailer..does your BF know about checking the floor for rot, the frame for rust and the rolling gear and brakes? If your horse put a foot throught the floor the result would be a disaster..if the brakes don't work you could find yourself being overtaken down hills.

frown.gif
frown.gif

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't care about it being stolen you are worrying me a bit..just how cheap is this trailer..does your BF know about checking the floor for rot, the frame for rust and the rolling gear and brakes? If your horse put a foot throught the floor the result would be a disaster..if the brakes don't work you could find yourself being overtaken down hills.

frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just coming back to post this - please please please have the floor and brakes checked before letting any horse near it.

the watcher

Visit site
I had the same feeling..but felt compelled to relpy just in case there really is somebody out there who is about to be given a trailer to tow with her VW that no doubt does not have a tow bar!

carmenlucy123

Visit site
no no tow bar i thought you could have them put on
im going to go and hang my head in shame now
anyways i dont know how to sort my piccies out
i do have horse insurance
i do care if its stolen, but ill just put a wheel lock on
i will get it checked
and im going to swap my car for a jeep
no wind ups just didnt expect this pressie!!!!!

Twiglet

Visit site
I don't think I'd even tow an empty trailer with a 1.4 VW Polo! Having driven one, I'd say they have trouble carrying themselves up hills, let alone a trailer!

I'm another post-97 test passer, and when I looked into taking the trailer test, it worked out rather expensive. Just thinking as you'll have to pay for another towing car, and a service check etc on trailer (to check floors, brakes), plus insure them.

dizzydolly

Visit site
A Polo?!!! No, you can have towbars put on whatever car you like but i think the people doing it might look at you a bit strangely if you said it was to tow a horse trailer!! You wouldnt even be legal so insurance wouldnt matter anyway, it wouldnt be valid at all so if you insist on towing with your polo, you might as well save yourself some money and not bother with insurance
crazy.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
The trailer is only insured 3rd party liability whilst it is attached to the car.
If you dont insure the trailer seperately and the hitch snaps (which can happen) the trailer is no longer attached to the car and technically NOT covered by the car insurance.

Chex

Visit site
I would seriously get it insured for theft. Mine was stolen, they removed the wheel lock and hitch lock with a hammer or something (I found the trailer again though, they didn't hide it very well!). I don't think you have to let the car insurance people know.