Towing vehicle suggestions

SarahM

Visit site
Hi, was wondering if anyone could suggest a good towing vehicle for an ifor Williams 511 and one horse (600kg) I want a vehicle that can be also be used daily (as economical as possible for a 4x4) can I get away with a 2.2? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

The Bay

Visit site
I tow my lightweight Bateson trailer and 500kg horse with a Ssangyong Korrado which I absolutely rate for towing it’s also my everyday vehicle and diesel consumption isn’t that bad - usually do around 43mpg not towing.. I don’t know if you would need something a bit more meaty for a 600kg and a 511 though you probably wouldn’t have much room to play with.

SarahM

Visit site
I tow my lightweight Bateson trailer and 500kg horse with a Ssangyong Korrado which I absolutely rate for towing it’s also my everyday vehicle and diesel consumption isn’t that bad - usually do around 43mpg not towing.. I don’t know if you would need something a bit more meaty for a 600kg and a 511 though you probably wouldn’t have much room to play with.
Thank you:) will look into them

doodle

Visit site
As I always say, Nissan X-trail. The 2l ones tho. (They do a newer 1.6l which dosnt tow much) They tow 2.2 tonnes which is perfect for my 511 and hefalump horse as it means I can’t take anyone else!

SarahM

Visit site
As I always say, Nissan X-trail. The 2l ones tho. (They do a newer 1.6l which dosnt tow much) They tow 2.2 tonnes which is perfect for my 511 and hefalump horse as it means I can’t take anyone else!
I didn't realise they had such a high capacity thank you :)

doodle

Visit site
I am on my third and there are 2 others in the yard. They do the job perfectly and also have 4wd for the few days the road up to the yard is covered in snow.

Sprig

Visit site
I have a Freelander 2. It tows brilliantly, much better than my old disco. It is my second and I love it. I am going to keep it until it dies.

Annagain

Visit site
The trailer is approx 1,000kg so with your horse you'll be needing to tow 1600kg. Any of the smaller SUVs and most estate cars will be able to tow that weight. I'd try a few and see which you prefer. Estate cars will be slightly better on MPG but SUVs will be better if you're towing in and our of fields to park at shows etc. I've driven a few over the years and in terms of feeling most comfortable towing, I liked the Freelander, the CRV and the Tiguan. I've not towed with a Discovery Sport but it was a very nice car to drive and had quite a good MPG, same with the Kuga.

SarahM

Visit site
The trailer is approx 1,000kg so with your horse you'll be needing to tow 1600kg. Any of the smaller SUVs and most estate cars will be able to tow that weight. I'd try a few and see which you prefer. Estate cars will be slightly better on MPG but SUVs will be better if you're towing in and our of fields to park at shows etc. I've driven a few over the years and in terms of feeling most comfortable towing, I liked the Freelander, the CRV and the Tiguan. I've not towed with a Discovery Sport but it was a very nice car to drive and had quite a good MPG, same with the Kuga.
Thank you:)

Milliechaz

Visit site
I've towed with a discovery, range rover, BMW X5, Mercedes ML, BMW 3 & 5 series estate and Audi A4 and A6 estate and they have all been great with the estates obviously being the most economical.

SarahM

Visit site
I've towed with a discovery, range rover, BMW X5, Mercedes ML, BMW 3 & 5 series estate and Audi A4 and A6 estate and they have all been great with the estates obviously being the most economical.
Never thought of an estate thanks

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Never thought of an estate thanks
There are some really good and economical 4x4 estate cars out there these days. I recommend the Skoda Octavia Scout, they have a tow limit of 2000kg (can be lower with older models) so it will easily cope with your set up - I tow a 650 kg IDx in my Ifor 510 with one.

Do go for a 4x4 for towing, it’s the ‘get out of jail’ card :).

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
2.2 would be fine. I owned a Freelander 2 which I loved, but it was forever breaking down or having electrical issues! When it was working, it towed lovely and was a great drive but cost me a lot of money in 2 years. I personally would now steer away from Landrover if possible.

Look at the Mitsubishi Outlander, lots of friends tow with them. Honda CRV's are good, not thirsty either. We now own a 3.2 Shogun, but its purely used as a towing vehicle as it DRINKS fuel.

Leo Walker

Visit site

I have a Korando and I am thrilled with it. We get about 45mpg which isn't bad for a 12plate automatic 4x4! Its gorgeous to drive and tows a triple trailer, pony and carriage easily. I've towed a 511 and a 500kgs horse and it don't even know it was there. I've had it a year now and recommend them to everyone. When it needs replacing I'll look for the same again

doodle

Visit site
I also had a crv for a while. It tows 2 tonne. I never had an issue with it but it just didn’t feel as good as the x trail. It wasn’t so good off road too.