Towing vehicle, weight limits, and suitability?

LHIS

Visit site
Morning All,

In the next few months we will be starting to look at the options for vehicles that can tow, and looking for a 2-horse trailer.
Ultimately I want the capability to box up with my 2 14.1hh cob geldings and get out and about.
I've looked at some cars that can tow but I don't know a jot about weight limits on cars - for example how much leeway do you want on a towing capacity? My geldings (unweighed) I think will be around the 400kg mark, a trailer (from what I have read) is around 750kgs, so that's 1550kgs, then I need to make an allowance for tack, people in the car (does this count towards the limit?). Anything else?
A lot of cars I've been looking at have a limit around the 2T mark, but i don't know how much 'extra' you want, and what their suitability will be like for the type of terrain we will be in and around.
We will be living on the side of the moors and it is hilly, so the vehicle needs to be able to cope with that (I.e it won't be towing on nice flat ground - it will be up and down hills).

Neither OH and I are old enough to have the ability to tow without taking the test, so we are planning on having some tuition and taking the test when we're both ready.

I also want to know how cost effective having a guzzling 4x4 will be in comparison to thinking about a 3.5T van? Bearing in mind that we will probably need a vehicle that can cope with inclement winter weather for a few days a year anyway.

In terms of how much the trailer/box would be getting out and about - maybe once a week, maybe less - having never had transport before it would be new to me, but I hope to get out and about with my boys for hacking and embarrassing myself at local dressage competitions.

On top of all of that, depending on the answers to the above about weight and leeway, what vehicles would you recommend? My heart says the Defender is the obvious choice. OH less enthused with the defender because he likes to be comfortable. I am confident the defender would also tick the 'can cope with inclement weather' box too. As you can probably tell I love the defender, but sense must prevail and if there is/are other vehicles that would fit the bill then I'd appreciate some suggestions. The towing vehicle will not be our sole vehicle, we would have another everyday comfortable car.

Advice, guidance and personal experience much appreciated, thank you!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Some thoughts:

How much leeway do you want on a towing capacity? Many people (ROG esp) say manufacturers stated capacity has some slack, I would tend to say allow 15% leeway

My geldings (unweighed) I think will be around the 400kg mark, a trailer (from what I have read) is around 750kgs, so that's 1550kgs, then I need to make an allowance for tack, people in the car (does this count towards the limit?).

Anything in the car doesn't count towards TRAILER limit, but does towards overall Train Weight. I think you should weigh the pony!

We will be living on the side of the moors and it is hilly, so the vehicle needs to be able to cope with that (I.e it won't be towing on nice flat ground - it will be up and down hills). Yes, extra oomph is good.

Neither OH and I are old enough to have the ability to tow without taking the test, so we are planning on having some tuition and taking the test when we're both ready.
I also want to know how cost effective having a guzzling 4x4 will be in comparison to thinking about a 3.5T van? Bearing in mind that we will probably need a vehicle that can cope with inclement winter weather for a few days a year anyway.

Tax and insurance will be much higher. But a decent 3.5T will cost a lot more more than towtug and trailer, Have you thought about taking your HGV tests (roughly £1000) which allows you to shop in the 7.5T market which offers much better value?

My heart says the Defender is the obvious choice. OH less enthused with the defender because he likes to be comfortable. I am confident the defender would also tick the 'can cope with inclement weather' box too.

Defenders are superb vehicles, and hold their value - but they are quite nasty to drive. Plenty of others out there - if it's not yr everyday car big thirsty barges can be super value - think Shogun, Jeep, Landcruiser. Much depends on yr budget...how much can you afford? Another thing - are you really going to be going out competing or hacking if the roads are snowy or icy? I wouldn't unless I HAD to...

ROG

Visit site
2000KG TOWING LIMIT will be plenty

Vehicles are designed to tow their maximum listed max braked trailer limits

More info in HHO TOWING CLINIC - link below in signature especially post number 3000

Annagain

Visit site
Defenders are much more comfy than they used to be, especially if you get a high spec (XS) but are like hens' teeth these days and very expensive as a result. They also tow about twice what you need so might be overkill. If your OH is very tall he might struggle with it as the leg room is limited but you can buy a product called mud rails which allow you to push the seat back further. We've done this for my OH who is 6'.

Assuming you've got the relevant licence (which you say you're going to get) You can go right up to the car's towing limit. An Ifor Williams 505/6 (I've used it as an example it as it's the most popular) weighs roughly 900kg so even if we're generous and say your horses are 500kg that's a total of 1900kg.

Anything you put in the car does not count towards the towing capacity. It will count towards the car's maximum weight but that's nearly always far higher than you will ever reach unless you're filling it with breeze blocks so I wouldn't worry too much about that. For example, my Defender 90s kerb (unladen) weight is 1870 and it's maximum weight is 2550kg which means I could put 680kg (or my 17hh horse, if he'd fit) in it!

Personally, in your shoes, I would go with something that will tow at least 2.2T. That will give you a bit of leeway if you ever take a bigger horse or have a heavier trailer. If you like Land Rovers, I would look at the Discovery Sport. The Autos tow 2.2T and I'm told the new one with the new engine will go up to 2.5T (check this as it wasn't from an official source). I had one as a courtesy car when my Defender was having some paintwork done and was very impressed with it. It drove beautifully, I was getting about 30mpg on my 4 mile stop start journey to work and well over 40mpg on longer journeys. It didn't have a tow bar so I can't tell you how it towed but I don't see it being a problem.

I've also driven one off road and it's incredibly capable. Although nothing will ever get you unstuck like a Defender will, it's actually much easier to drive (especially an Auto) as the technology in the car does it all for you. You just stick it in "Grass Gravel Snow" mode and off you go!

If you can't afford a Sport, the Freelander is basically the older version of it. There are some bargain 14/15 plate Freelanders around these days. Check the towing capacity though as only a few models tow up to 2.2T.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I got a good deal on the Ford Ranger Wildcat - the separate cabin on the back means it carries lots of horsey gear and no smell invades the very comfortable interior. The camera makes hitching really easy (no guidance tape on trailer and windows for me) it drives in 2 and 4 wheel drive. It pulls really easily (a 15.2 and 16.2 not lightweights) and smoothly and I'm getting between 27 and 30 mpg..my other 4x4 car was 32mpg. Nasty rumours are circulating about increased road tax costs in the future but I need a car which can tow and this arrangement ticks the boxes until/if I get a lorry.

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks all - I had looked at the Disco Sport but the price once OH has put all he extras on it was eye watering. We can pick up a second hand Defender XS for mid twenties.
Annagain - yes my OH is 6'2 and has complained about room in the defender - good to know it can be modified a bit. We went to Iceland on holiday recently and hired a Disco Sport and were less an enamoured with it, however it was the base model I think. I have looked at newer freelanders and they are an option if we can get something that ticks the boxes.
Turnbuckle - thank you, OH fancies a Shogun but I'd want a SWB one and they seem to be hard to come by, and same price as Defenders - and if I had a choice I'd pick the Defender every time. As for going out with trailer in bad weather - no I wouldn't but I would need a car that can get me out and to work/to train station. So car needs to be able to do that up and down slippery roads.
Mid life crisis - thank you will look at the ranger - it's a pick up isn't it?
Thanks ROG!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
LHIS..yep Ranger is a truck but we have an automatic and it drives like a car and you get used to the length way too quickly. Its high up so I can see over hedges etc and I love it - go and test drive one - honestly its worth a consideration.

turnbuckle

Visit site
I would need a car that can get me out and to work/to train station. So car needs to be able to do that up and down slippery roads.

If the roads are just slippery, any car will do it on winter tyres. If you need to be able to get around in compacted snow and sheet ice, you need chains - and practice fitting them! Even the easy-fit are only easy in relative terms, and the cheap ones are a nightmare!

1rocky1

Visit site
hi brought a shogun 2004 3.5 gdi yesterday will be towing next few days [rice trailer will let u know how it go"s.

CMcC

Visit site
I used to tow with a VW Tiguan, although I always towed within limit found it not really up to the job. Friend recommended VW Touareg saying "You won't even know you are towing", which I thought was rubbish. But upgraded to Touareg and it is true! Can tow up to 3.5t and is a fantastic car to drive, don't think your OH would have any complaints.

w1bbler

Visit site
No advice on vehicle, but you may be underestimating your horses weight dramatically, my 14.2 Conny was just over 400kg on my weigh tape, but was 527kg on the scales 😯
The weigh bridge lady put her back on twice as she didnt believe the result.(she agreed pony doesnt look fat)
Unless your cobs are very slender I'd be guessing more around the 500kg mark, even the slender 14.2 new forest my friend was weighing was over 400kg

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks all! We are getting closer to the purchase of the towing vehicle. It is looking increasingly likely that it's going to be a LWB Shogun. It goes over 3T and is (begrudgingly) more comfortable than a Defender.

asmp

Visit site
I used to tow with a VW Tiguan, although I always towed within limit found it not really up to the job. Friend recommended VW Touareg saying "You won't even know you are towing", which I thought was rubbish. But upgraded to Touareg and it is true! Can tow up to 3.5t and is a fantastic car to drive, don't think your OH would have any complaints.

Also have a Touareg and its true - tows 2 horses with ease. Has same towing capabilities as a Disco.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
LWB Shogun is a good choice. Like you, I'd have gone with a Defender as choice no 1, but when it comes to comfort and practicality vs heartstrings, the Shogun wins hands down. Now LOVE my Shogun, am on no 2 (2014 plate, the 2000 plate still here and sorned, doing sterling off road work).

ETA A Shogun will get you anywhere.

Last edited:

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
My experience of both having cobs and towing with both a 2t capacity small 4x4 and a larger 3.5t tow capacity:
My cobs can go up to 450kg
The smaller 4x4 did the job but I could feel it having to work and struggled more on steep incline/decline
I now have a Ford Ranger pick up and it does the job really well. I get about 30mpg if not towing and driving sensibly.

coss

Visit site
Depends what trailer you get as well as the weight of the cobs. My single trailer (IW) is 767kg... the double box is 900kg and the 511 is 1T! so that's already 250kg more before you start. I'm not sure of the weight of batesons but have read the IW leaflets multiple times. I'd also want to allow at least 500kg per horse if they're cob types. I allow 500kg for my anglo arab x and he's very fine built and about 14.2. He weigh tapes at nearer 430kg. I've a 2T tow capacity with a vauxhall antara but having a single trailer + 1 horse means i'm well within limits.
Pleased to see you went for a shogun!

1rocky1

Visit site
Thanks all! We are getting closer to the purchase of the towing vehicle. It is looking increasingly likely that it's going to be a LWB Shogun. It goes over 3T and is (begrudgingly) more comfortable than a Defender.

been towing first time today 3.5gdi swb really good had 2 tons of woodshavings on from mill could not tell it was on , but very thirsty as expected about 10 to galon on flat roads going very steady , very stable drive though .

1rocky1

Visit site
You must have a B+E licence ?
hi rog, thanks for getting back yes been driving 30 odd years so am ok [getting old lol] your a god send on here mate with your advice to these guys all the very best regards richard.