Towing with a BMW X5

Yeomans

Visit site
I am looking into getting a BMW X5 and wondered if anyone has good or bad reviews with regard to using it for towing.

Irish gal

Visit site
Former partner had a BMW, saloon type, that we towed with. Fantastic towing power but a nightmare on fuel - like seriously expensive. But if that's not a consideration for you then I'm sure it would be great.

Annagain

Visit site
The only thing I know about X5s is that they're apparently rubbish off road (even a bit of wet grass on a slope can scupper them I've heard). They're very good on the road so as long as you're not going to be parking in a lot of hilly fields you'll probably be fine!

Milliechaz

Visit site
I tow with an x5 and think it's brilliant. An Isuzu trooper parked next to us got stuck recently but the x5 which was in the same muddy field had no problem at all . I'd definitely vouch for it. I use mine for everyday use as well and get about 28mpg out of it. Just to say as well my husband is a car trader so I've had most 4x4s for towing...a shogun a mercedes ml and both the vogue and sport ranger rovers. By far the x5 has been the most reliable and fuel efficient

Last edited:

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
I've got an 02 plate 3L diesel manual X5 and it's brilliant. It does about 36mpg normally and about 28mpg when towing (and that was towing a 17.2hh warmblood and companion). They are only rubbish off road if you use unsuitable tyres!! I fitted smaller wheels with chunkier-type tyres to mine and it tows over very rough, steep terrain and was awesome in snow (didn't try that whilst towing though lol)

asmp

Visit site
We had an old one and I loved towing with it. Never got stuck in the mud (although had one scary moment when I stupidly stopped in the middle of a very muddy gateway). Would have bought another one but newish ones were too expensive so we've gone for a VW Touareg. Only got rid of the old one as the electrics were playing up - as in the doors wouldn't lock/airbag light came on, etc. Yes, the BMW was thirsty but so is the VW!

Pedantic

Visit site
Baring in mind BMW stuck two fingers up to every horse rider in the UK at it's oxford plant, cost the BHS and the Ramblers Association £££££££'s, of your money if your a member, I don't know how any serious horse owner/rider can bring themselves to look at one, never mind own one, I won't ever buy one out of principle, why would I put money into the pocket of a car manufacturer that was all too happy to force riders onto a busy road, the thought of one penny of my money in spares and service items going to BMW's coffers makes me want to throw up.

Milliechaz

Visit site
Lol if I refused to buy a product / pay for a service from any company without morals I would be living an amish life ����

meesha

Visit site
I had a BMW x5 good fuel economy on motorway poor round country lanes. Towed equitrek well but again poor fuel economy and ended up replacing rear tyres every few months, they were cheap tyres but even so!!! Did do quite a few work miles but worst monthly fuel bill was £500, friend who gets car sick a!so really struggled sitting in rear. Lovely to drive but lengthy of that plus equitrek not a!ways easy to find big enough parking spot!!!

JulesRules

Visit site
Lol if I refused to buy a product / pay for a service from any company without morals I would be living an amish life ����

Some companies have much worse morals than others. I have numerous companies that I boycott. You can Lol but money talks. Perhaps if more of us took this stance more companies would have better morals?