towing with a car?

siennamiller

Visit site
which car could pull an ifor 505 (is that the small one) and a 16hh horse.
I have a trooper at the mo which is great but need to downsize to something cheaper to run.
thanks

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Any decent estate car 2 litre or over would do the job.
Id go for a Mondea Turbo Deseil if I was you, or maybe a passat, something like that.
I tow my 505 with a Grand Vitara and it does a grand job.
grin.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
Thanks everyone, lots of good ideas. What about a ford focus diesel estate?
I am assuming I caold only tow one horse with a car, couldn't take friend 15hh boy as well?
xx

OWLIE185

Visit site
Cars should not be used for towing horse trailers. You need a heavy and powerfull four wheel drive such as a Range Rover

hollyzippo

Visit site
I'd stick with the trooper if you want to take 2. Check with manufacturers but I'd have thought focus estate ok with one, should have weights on their web site. 2 litre may struggle up hills tho!

I have seen people tow 2 with a 306 1.4! Doesnt mean its legal!!!

Alibear

Visit site
Used to tow that set up with a Volvo 1.8 ltr estate , it is legal and within weight.

Also possibly look at the newer 4x4 cars (that are cars rather than off roaders ) basically and good estate car should be up to it and diesels may be better than petrol but mine was a petrol .

lizzie_liz

Visit site
stick with the trooper, if u have the citation could you downsize to the duty? but don't really know much apart from parents love towing with our trooper

siennamiller

Visit site
yay. OH says we can keep a trooper but get a slightly newer one as I feel safer in it (after tosser crashing into me in feb-in any other car I would have been hospitalised! It was still written off tho)
It is handy for when he needs to pick up bands gear etc
Thanks for all your advice everyone ( and sorry
blush.gif
blush.gif
)

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
as the laws have changed no cars should tow horsesboxes go to laws on twoing with dvla --- and towing weights -- only some 4x4 are acceptable -- a trooper is one the rest mentioned are not acceptable

Sooty

Visit site
Many cars look fine on paper, but when you add in not only a horse (or two) but tack, water, people etc., then factor in the fact that a horse is not a stable load, you really need as much weight as possible in the tow car. You do not want the trailer pushing the car downhill, and you don't want to be struggling. Also, many showground carparks are muddy and/or rutty, no problem for a larger 4x4.

galaxy

Visit site
I used to tow my 14hh pony in my Rice trailer with a Saab 93 estate. The Saab 93 can tow 1600kg, and the weight of my trailer and pony was 1300kg so well within weight. Wouldn't have put anything bigger in the back though and definitly not 2. Saab 95 can tow 1800kg.

Have to say as well, I was very selective about where I went. Although legally I was fine, I did not want to meet any steep hills. I now have a LWB Shogun and feel much happier in that.

Scarlett

Visit site
theoretically something like a 2.6 Audi A6 Quattro Avant would do the job, its a heavy big thing, 4 wheel drive and towing weight of just under 2000kg - but it would cost you a small fortune to run and return less MPG than your 4x4...

I doubt any cheaper to run car would be able to do the job legally or safely...