Towing

Ginn

Visit site
Parents are looking to buy a new car (Yay!) but won't look at 4x4's only mpv's. The shortlist are all capeable of towing 2000kgs - would this be enough to tow a newish trailer with about 800kgs of horse in it or would I do better to scratch that idea now and start saving for my own transport in about 4 years time
frown.gif
?

Iestyn

Visit site
The Kia MPV has apparently got a towing weight of 2000kg, but nothing else springs to mind. Wouldn't recommend anything bar a large 4x4 with that sort of weight.

Ginn

Visit site
I *think* they were looking at the renault, citroen and toyota but not sure - mum mentioned that the ones the looked at could tow 2T and asked me if they would be able to tow a 1 horse trailer/1 horse in a trailer and although my immediate reaction was no I thought I'd check.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Having researched this far and wide when I was looking to buy a new 4x4 to tow the trailer,The only car Id reccomend is the Dhiatshu Fourtrack- it has a towing capacity of 3500kg and is one of the best, if not THE best car for towing.Also very reliable. It also has an excellent miles per gallon 2-30 compared to other 4 x4's which are either disgustingly thirsty, or unreliable, or very borderline on their towing limits (dont forget that the car has to be towing 85% of its total towing limit)

barkinghorse

Visit site
Just because it has a towing capacity of 3500kg doesn't mean you can legally tow that weight,
the fourtrack only weighs something like 1759kg, (but don't quote me on that) and 85% of that is not a great deal.
My isuzu weighs 2660kg and i still get 30mpg and prefer the drive.
They are not expensive, the turning circle is second to none and i love the "fly4wheel drive" button on the dash, it's got me out of plenty of trouble.

Iestyn

Visit site
The 85% of the CAR'S KERBWEIGHT "rule" is just a guide and not a law. The 85% rule was introduced by the caravan club years ago when people started towing caravans with a normal family saloon. All vehicle's have towing weight limits (for braked trailers) and this is what the police would look at if you were stopped and weighed.

I'm not saying for a moment that it's ok to go over the 85% of your tow vehicle's kerbweight, but if this was a law then there would be no car on the market that would legally tow 2 17'2 Hunters in an Ifor 510. Yes of course take the 85% rule in consideration - at the end of the day, the heavier your towing vehicle then the more stable your outfit will be, but legally the weight you should be more concered with is the towing limit of the car, which in the Fourtrack's case is 3500kg and it is therefore legal for it to be towing a trailer of this weight.

Louby

Visit site
We have a fourtrak too and its fantastic, ok not that luxurious sp but it does the job brilliantly.
As your parents wont buy a 4 x 4 I'd recomend getting a book from Indespension, its about £3 and it gives every cars towing capability, weights etc. Dont go off what the guy in the showroom says, we were told allsorts of rubbish.