Toxins in rubber arenas and matting

red marksman

Visit site
Dangerous toxins in rubber arenas and matting can apparantly lead to health problems for both horse and rider including kidney disease.This is going to be a major issue soon according to some reports - so worth investigating if you are thinking of putting in a rubber surface.
confused.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
The owner of a competition yard near me told me that it is another EU driven bit of legislation. Its more to do with damage to the environment because the rubber does not break down and biodegrade. She said there were moves afoot to ban rubber arenas but if you already had one it is okay, you just wont be able to construct a new one.

Not heard anything about stable mats though.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
i would have thought it was a perfect answer to all the old tyres that are discarded every year!

[/ QUOTE ]

The mind boggles!

kat
xx

Capriole

Visit site
although thinking about it, just having the tyres down and having the pones quick step through them like an assault course on bad lads army...
smile.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
Absolutely but I suspect there will be regulations about disposal of old tyres as well. Dont a lot of these have metal running through them though?

10past6

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
although thinking about it, just having the tyres down and having the pones quick step through them like an assault course on bad lads army...
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it would make them pick there feet up
grin.gif

Prudence

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely but I suspect there will be regulations about disposal of old tyres as well. Dont a lot of these have metal running through them though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do, but the machines that shread the tyres also extract the wire before shreading! I went to see one last week, so I know!

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The owner of a competition yard near me told me that it is another EU driven bit of legislation. Its more to do with damage to the environment because the rubber does not break down and biodegrade. She said there were moves afoot to ban rubber arenas but if you already had one it is okay, you just wont be able to construct a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that must be a good thing, it means it doesnt cost money to top it up like it would with woodchip.
confused.gif

red marksman

Visit site
Our YO has loads of info on the subject as she is replacing our surface and was considering rubber. She is going to lend me the paperwork she unearthed about the dangers of rubber , so i will give more details when i have read it all - could take a while as the pile of paper is as thick as a brick!