TPR - a question.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm asking in here rather than Horse Care as it's more to general knowledge. . .

How many owners can and do check temperature, pulse and respiration when confronted with an off colour horse? Do you know what normal is for your horses?

I've been surprised the number of people on here who say their horses won't allow them to take an accurate temperature - surely that's one of the things that lets you know if you need a vet or you need a vet NOW! Ditto pulse, which can be a decent indication of pain levels.

Hetsmum

Visit site
Temp - yes know what is normal for mine and have often taken it when 'off colour'. Pulse - only know normal for the 2 that used to do endurance. Resp........ashamed to say don't know what is normal for them, but I would definately know if there was a change.
Most people on my yard have no idea what is even normal.........let alone normal for their horse!

be positive

Visit site
I think that being able to take a horses temperature is down to basic handling and good manners, most should not even realise it is being done, if they are used to having their tails handled and docks wiped on a regular basis quietly slipping a thermometer in should be no problem. I have one pony who is sensitive having had a vet stick a dry thermometer into his tight dry anus when he was poorly, I had taken it without difficulty by using a little vaseline but now he is a bit more worried but it can still be done without any drama.

I would take it as routine if they ever look off colour but having 10 plus in the yard I must admit I do not have a record of the individuals normal TPR.

pennyturner

Visit site
Hmmm. Good question, OP.

I'm a bit laid back about things medical. With 6 kids in the house, I don't think I've ever checked temperature with anything other than the back of my hand. I don't have a human thermometer, let alone a horse one. I do have a stethascope, but I haven't used it for years.

I'd like to think that I'd recognise signs of elevated TPR if one of the horses were off colour, but I would compare with the other ponies rather than take a measurement - then get the vet.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Hmmm. Good question, OP.

I'm a bit laid back about things medical. With 6 kids in the house, I don't think I've ever checked temperature with anything other than the back of my hand. I don't have a human thermometer, let alone a horse one. I do have a stethascope, but I haven't used it for years.

I'd like to think that I'd recognise signs of elevated TPR if one of the horses were off colour, but I would compare with the other ponies rather than take a measurement - then get the vet.

The thing with horses, though, is there is no way to tell by feel.

I was once on the phone to the vet while I was checking the pulse on a poorly but quiet horse. When I told him what it was he made me take it again it was so high!! Even though the horse was quiet the vet treated it as an emergency just because of the pulse - rightly, as it turned out!

Dehydration is the other one. Can most people tell when their horse is dehydrated?

Hetsmum

Visit site
Dehydration is the other one. Can most people tell when their horse is dehydrated?

Pinch test? Although again only know through BHS exams and Endurance competing. It does amaze me the lack of basic knowledge people have. I used to go to a horsey quiz night and you wouldn't believe how many people didn't know the average temperature that was normal for a horse!.......or the order they should be taken in.........

Marydoll

Visit site
Id only look at the pinch test in conjunction with mucous membrane colour and capilary refill rate, if dehydrated there would probably be increased heart rate, and resp rate possibly sunken eyes and slow cap refill and dry membranes depending on how dehydrated the horse is

Annagain

Visit site
Must admit I don't know what's 'normal' for either of mine, after 9 years of owning Archie and knowing Monty for 12 years:eek:.

I'm pretty sure I'd notice straight away if there's anything amiss with Archie as he's such a wimp. He came in from the field literally hopping on three legs the other day, dangling a front leg in the air and when I checked, he had a twig in his hoof! Took it out and he was fine again. Also when he's sedated and feeling a bit strange he whickers really gently and buries his head in my armpit as if to say "help me mum!"

Monty is much more stoic and tends to just get quieter and quieter if he's upset. He also doesn't eat huge amounts in the stable so it would be much harder to tell something's wrong with him as being off his food wouldn't be a sign either.

I'm off to buy a thermometer, and a full body suit of armour if I'm going to try shoving it up Archie's backside :D

Just wondering, would the ear thermometers give a rough indication? I know they're not intended for that purpose, but it might be safer just to get a rough idea for a baseline!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just wondering, would the ear thermometers give a rough indication? I know they're not intended for that purpose, but it might be safer just to get a rough idea for a baseline!

No, not really as you need a core temp and the ear, at least anywhere you could get a thermometer to, is a looooong way from the core in a horse. Also, they have a cooling system that involves their sinuses.

JustKickOn

Visit site
If the horses aren't themselves or look unwell, the first thing we do is check the temp and their breathing so we can tell the vet on the phone!! Check for the pulse too. And yes, we know what the norm for them is.
Any lameness or limb injuries, we check for digital pulses too.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Good questions OP - ones that shouldbe stuck on every yards notice board!

I admit I'm quite horrified when someone says (when asked what their horses temp is) "I dont know - I havent got a thermometer" .....

Like another poster up there ^ I have base-line records for both my fuzzies & do take updated records monthly for both, purely in case something happens & the vet wants to know the usual state of play.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Id only look at the pinch test in conjunction with mucous membrane colour and capilary refill rate, if dehydrated there would probably be increased heart rate, and resp rate possibly sunken eyes and slow cap refill and dry membranes depending on how dehydrated the horse is

This, Frank would worry you most of the time on a pinch test.. but then I suppose I know what is normal for him on that which would reduce the panic!

sueonmull

Visit site
I use a cheap digital thermometer and know what's usual for my horse. Wouldn't be without it, essential for those times when they are just 'not right' and for picking up problems early. Worth getting a horse used to regular checking as it makes life a lot easier for the vet and also less stressful for the horse when it needs to be done 'for real'. Bit of spit helps if no vaseline or KY jelly about!

Mellis

Visit site
I would consider it normal to know, and update the TPR and keep health records of all animals in your care. I also weigh mine monthly, only with tape, just to keep my records up to date.

amandap

Visit site
Actually I don't have baselines for mine so something to do! I do take TPR if any are off colour though. Pedal pulse is the one I seem to check most often though. lol

Visit site
Having tried to take horses pulse last week as I thought she had colic, I couldn't feel a pulse ! I know in theory where you should take it but couldn't feel it anywhere! Also, when taking temp I was told to put the thermometer towards the side of the anus as if you put it straight in you are probably taking the temperature of the poo that's waiting to drop!
However in watching various videos this is never mentioned ?