Tracing a potential new ower

flirtygerty

Visit site
For personal reasons, I am regretfully giving up my horses, two of four have been re-homed to my satisfaction, I have a lady interested in my 20+ yr old mare as a happy hacker, but lives quite a distance away, I am equally resolved to rehoming to the right home or pts, potential home sounds lovely, experienced, willing to give vets ref's, but wants to take mare after viewing, given the distance, it's understandable, have offered overnight accomodation, which gives me time to check with her vet, but what else can I do to protect this mare who owes me nothing, all I have is an area, (Manchester) the mare is sound and has years of hacking in her, but my gut instinct says pts, knowing she won't be passed on, although I have made it clear, if she goes (no money involved) it will be her lat home, even if she has to come home to meet the huntsman.
This has not been an easy decision so no nasty comments, I need to do the right thing by my horses, so how do I find out about the lady interested, there are so many horror stories out there

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
You ask her to bring her passport, driving licence a copy of her latest bank statement, rates bill and a utility bill and photocopy each of them. That way you know that she is who she is and where she lives.
Ask for a written reference from her vet, farrier and feed merchant.

flirtygerty

Visit site
I have googled her name and area, nothing really came up, but I'm not comfy with computers, FB, I only have her message to work with, I can't grasp this internet malarky, hence the overnight invite, I'm relying on my gut feeling when seeing how she interacts with my mare, I have one on long term loan, local to me and I pass his field once a month, another returned to his original owner, get regular pics, I need to know they are settled and happy, it's not my horses fault they are being rehomed, it's just life getting in the way, but I need to be ok in my mind with the homes they go to

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thanks Peter, good advice, given the distance, I asked for a vet ref, which I will check on, never thought of proof of address, driving license etc, theres so many horror stories, I need to be sure, thanks again, it has put my mind at rest (for now)

windand rain

Visit site
The only 100% way of controlling your mares future is PTS at home. Having said that sometimes people are genuine and are caring but it is hard to trust strangers as so much heartache is broadcast around the media. You have a much higher chance of finding the right home than a wrong un as it is only the horror stories that people yell about. Thousands of horses are rehomed perfectly well its only the odd few that hit a problem and it is those that attract attention. By all means take up references but you have to trust them at some point or keep her or let her go with you

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You ask her to bring her passport, driving licence a copy of her latest bank statement, rates bill and a utility bill and photocopy each of them. That way you know that she is who she is and where she lives.
Ask for a written reference from her vet, farrier and feed merchant.

This ^^^^ ........ I would add the local hunt secretary as well, that will give you another avenue to check. OR, bearing in mind your unease, try and re-home her nearer to your home so you can keep a closer eye on the situation. But I think it might be worth giving this woman a chance and see if you/your horse likes her.

So sorry for your situation OP, it must be awful, my boy is 20 this year and as quirky as a box of frogs, and I know that re-homing would never be an option for him.

silv

Visit site
To be honest, I think that any potential decent lessee should totally understand where you are coming from and be offering you references etc. How far is the distance involved? I would be tempted to tell her that you are not willing to let your horse go the same day unless she gives you references upfront which you can check and if you don't think she is right for your mare then you won't be letting her go. Also are you getting her to sign a contract? Certainly consider that.

popsdosh

Visit site
I am not sure from your post on what basis this arrangement is . If you are passing ownership and responsibility you realistically have no further control over your mares life ,Are you ready for that!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
A written reference of the feed merchant? I would doubt mine would know who I am, one trip a month in the winter and every 2 months in summer. I hand over my card and thats the limit of the transaction.
I've known my farrier for 20 years but I doubt you'd get much in writing. He tends to very scant with texts ( talk for hours in person)
Not saying its a bad idea to ask but some very nice people may struggle with them. I think asking if you can call farrier maybe easier.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I am not sure from your post on what basis this arrangement is . If you are passing ownership and responsibility you realistically have no further control over your mares life ,Are you ready for that!

I agree. I've spoken to my solicitor about that and you've no further control. Once it's sold, it's sold. You can bind a purchaser but cannot prevent a sell on when all those conditions you've carefully thought about and imposed go out the window.

The only solution I could think of was a long term loan, say for 50 years, as no horse will live that long. And for a decent premium and nominal rent, say 5p per year "if asked". But do it through a solicitor!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I wouldn't be happy giving a stranger a copy of my bank statement to be honest.
A copy of driving licence and utility bill fair enough, this should prove they are who they say.
A reference from their vet possibly,it's difficult and I don't blame you for being careful, but I don't think it's, on to ask for bank statements really.

maisie06

Visit site
I'd be happy to provide refs from vets, farriers etc but no way would I be giving a total stranger a copy of my bank statements, passport Driving licence, these days with ID theft prevalent - no way. If you have a bad feeling go with your gut and have the mare PTS, the only way you can totally secure her future.

touchstone

Visit site
Is this the same mare that has arthritis in her fetlocks? If that is the case I'd think very carefully before rehoming her, especially if you aren't 100% convinced about the home.

Would it be possible to do a home check, if she's on a livery yard you could possibly contact the yard owner or manager.

I also think it will be impossible to control her future once she's gone, and loaning rather than gifting will be safer, but you need to be prepared for the mare returning to you.

I don't envy your position at all, but for what it's worth, if it is the arthritic mare, then I'd be letting her go safe and secure at home.

hypopit

Visit site
Is your mare totally sound? Or has she any lameness/arthritic issues you know of? If it was my call, and there were any soundness issues I'm afraid I would PTS at home, as I could not bear the thought of my old horses been passed from pillar to post. People are all enthusiastic promising the world until they have to put their hand in their pocket. I would let her go on a long term loan but agree with Dry Rot, do it through a Solicitor. I have been bitten once loaning out, never again. When you say 20+ is she nearer 20 than nearer 29? That would make a huge difference with the PTS, and obviously soundness issues.

There are so many nightmare stories on Social media of genuine people "loaning" older horses out as companions due to soundness issues, and unscrupulous people (dealers) pose as genuine loanees and the next week the horse is buted up and sold. It is a nightmare. I would need to know everything about them if my boys were going to go any real distance and I did not know the person, and I would get a contract drawn up by a solicitor and make it clear to them this is what I was going to do This alone would probably put off most of the scammers as there are so many horses out there looking for "companion" homes free that they are easy pickings, they would not want the hassle ones.

Hope you get your horses a good home, and to put balance to this you do usually only end up hearing about the nightmare stories. I'm sure there are lots of genuine people out there, not just folk looking for owt for nowt.

indie1282

Visit site
I wouldn't be happy giving a stranger a copy of my bank statement to be honest.
A copy of driving licence and utility bill fair enough, this should prove they are who they say.
A reference from their vet possibly,it's difficult and I don't blame you for being careful, but I don't think it's, on to ask for bank statements really.

Theres no way I would give a bank statement or copies of passports etc... If loaning then standard practice is they view the horse and try it, if your both happy you go and view the premises where it will be kept then if all happy draw up an arrangement and organise transport.

stormox

Visit site
They might not have a vet, farrier or feed merchant if they havent got a horse and are looking for one. Permanent loan is the only way you can let her go but keep control.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Difficult one but if there's any doubt at all I would be PTS at home. At that age, mare doesn't owe you anything and it's a huge upheaval for them to move; think about it from her perspective.
Also, why is she trying to loan so far away from her home; there are hundreds of horses for loan from far nearer to her; does she think out of sight out of mind and will be either working her into the ground or passing her on because it's too far for you to check up on? Sorry, it's a total no in my book.

Irish gal

Visit site
You could take a leaf out of the rescue charities and use their same conditions. 1) Horse can't be sold on, do this by making it a loan. There are contracts online for this or why don't you call a rescue charity and ask how they do it.
2) Go and inspect this lady's place. See how the horses are kept and whether she has the right facilities.

Then decide if you want to give her the horse. She may well be a very genuine lady who will offer your mare a wonderful home. If she's genuine she'll have no problem giving you photo updates of the mare. Lets's face it the horse is worth nothing in monetary terms so she really has no way to gain financially from selling her on etc.

touchstone

Visit site
To a private buyer the horse is probably worthless, but even old horses can make meat money, plenty of animals go through auction rings to the meat man.

stormox

Visit site
But no matter how genuine the potential new owner is, no one can guarantee how their circumstances might change, and they could find themselves, totally not their fault, unable to care for the mare any longer. A loan is the only way to ensure she comes back to you.

wills_91

Visit site
How far is she from you? I've just put 2 of mine out on loan about 3 hours away. The lady provided her drivers licence and a utility bill (I didn't ask she just turned up with it) and also contact details for her vet and farrier who were happy to provide a reference. I stalked her in fb and Googled to. However I would not let them go same day if she had asked. We both needed time to think about it. If they are that serious they will travel to see her and again yo collect.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Just read all the replies, OP, and the only way you can guarantee your horse's future is by PTS I'm afraid.

Yes, it'll be terribly sad, and I'm not sure I could do it to an elderly horse who was otherwise healthy (which I assume yours is?), but what if the lady is unscrupulous, or hits hard times? It doesn't bear thinking what might become of the horse.

It's a sorry state we're in when we can't trust others fully, but even a 1% chance of your horse being mistreated or sold on wouldn't be worth the risk in my book.

If you can't bring yourself to do that (I probably couldn't), then a full loan closer to your home would be my choice. My first choice actually, as long the horse is currently sound.

Sandstone1

Visit site
While I agree that you need to be very very careful in finding a new home, there are good people out there. I've had several oldies in the past and hope I've given them a good home in their last year's.
A permanent loan would be the way I'd go. You could make provision for her to be pts in the event that the loan home couldn't keep her.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, food for thought indeed.
It was always my intention for my horses to have a home for life, due to circumstances, I struggle to give them even basic care, they don't starve due to my kind hayman, but I have to save up to afford a trim, things are that desperate.
I can't remember who asked if it was the mare with arthritis, yes it is, but she has been sound on Tumeric and not needed bute for the last three years.
I would prefer her to be pts at home, I wouldn't normally pass on an old horse, mare is 22 now and I am well aware she owes me nothing, she is so laidback I offered her to the local RDA, but I am between a rock and a hard place.
Loanee has agreed to keep me updated with regular pics and just wants a happy hacker and will bring written references, I have said, if she can't keep the mare she is to come home to meet the huntsman and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
I have been lucky in rehoming my other two, the other oldie is back with his original owners and loving the beach, the love of my life is in a home from home and I see him regulary, he's not happy at being schooled, but still loves his cuddles.
I would rather not be in this position and am trying to make the best of a bad job, but thanks again for all your comments

Clannad48

Visit site
One of my horses was out on 'permanent loan' to a friend who died recently. The horse had a loving 5* home but sadly my friend's very sudden death just goes to show that you can not guarantee your horse's future. The horse is back with me and will stay with me until the end (unless I go first - in which case my daughter will take over )