Tracing Breeding

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Hi,

I am trying to find out more about my horse and his breeding. I'd like to know what his parents did competition wise, and if he has any siblings (competing or otherwise). I'd also be really interested to contact his breeder.

I don't really know where to look! I've tried looking at the Sport Horse Breeding GB website, but didn't find it much use and another website called allbreed pedigree.

His sire is called Dex, and his dam is Abracadbra (but I'm not sure if there was a spelling mistake and it should have been abracadabra).

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!!

Thanks
smile.gif

Lou

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What passport has he got and what details are inside it; what is his registered name? If you know these you can try NED online (try all different ways of spelling too) or you can contact the passport issuers and ask them (far better to talk to someone than use email for this type of thing IMO) If they do have contact details for the breeder or previous owner, you could write to them C/O the passport office (put your letter inside an already stamped envelope inside one to them if that makes sense; also enclose an sae for the breeder to reply to you). The easier you make it for them to reply the more probability you will get a reply so include all phone numbers and email as well.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks MFH. He has a bsja passport and I've tried using NED but there is no breeding info associated with his 'profile' on there even though his dam and sire are in the passport. I will try writing I think.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Try finding his parents on NED. If you find either his dam or sire, you can check what progeny they had. It will also tell you if anything is named with BSJA under another name, or it should do; one of mine definitely has both his names recorded. You'll need to buy points to check progeny though but you might be able to find something out that way.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
I didn't think to look up his parents on NED... It's been a long week and it's only Wed! I think I even have some free points for being keen and signing up last year when I first tried researching his breeding.

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
Thanks all. I'm not sure how you tell if that sire is the same Dex that sired my horse? I think I'll try to contact the breeder and see if she has any more details. I found another Dex on NED that was sired by Dallas and I know he used to be kept locally to where the breeder is so it could be that one? I've never really done this before so am clueless!! And it seems like there are lot's of Dex's!