Track system

Copperpot

Visit site
I have set up a track approx 12 foot wide around my 5 acre field. Have made 2 of the corners larger so they have somewhere to relax. One is under a large tree and the other on the bank of a little stream they sometimes go in. The track starts off the front of a 30 x 20m woodchip post and rail paddock which is attached to 2 double field shelters. They go out a little gate onto it. The track finishes behind the field shelter in a large area as they like to stand there in the shade. Is it ok that it's not circular?

My thinking was that if they are standing behind the field shelter and want a drink, the have to walk round the whole 5 acres to get it. Meaning more exercise. I can make it circular as have another gate the other side of the woodchip paddock bit.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ours wasn't circular all year round, depended on how much grass there was. I still think they walked more :).

Copperpot

Visit site
That is also the reason why its not. I've only given them 2/3 of it as there is loads of grass down there at the minute. I'm hoping if I leave water one end, shelter the other and some salt licks in the middle they will move lots. They certainly had a good canter when I first put them on it yesterday! No slowing down for the corners either 😀

JillA

Visit site
No reason at all - I set up a U shape with a line up the centre in a half acre paddock so my horse had to go all the way round to get to his water/feed. My old mare used to chivvy all the others just to go all the way round my one on an 8 acre field, not stopping to graze, just walking purposefully round it :)

Copperpot

Visit site
I shall leave it as it is then. I have one who likes to chase the other 2 about. I'm hoping he will keep them all on the move ☺️

dollyanna

Visit site
My guys love their track - same field as a field and they wandered around, when it's a track they never walk anywhere but tend to travel at a canter! My gelding in particular seems to enjoy doing a few circuits just for fun, and because it is round he doesn't slow down for the corners - so he kind of has more space to run because he isn't hitting a fence and having to turn around.

pistolpete

Visit site
Ours isn't circular either. The horses love it! We have a steepish bank which my horse decided was a good place for a roll today! Nutter! Ours are always on the move. Would love to do time-lapse photos of them!

Copperpot

Visit site
I have noticed they seem to trot or canter everywhere. Pistolpete I was thinking of attaching my fitbit to one of them and seeing how far they go!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Is 12 feet wide sufficient space. I have a small paddock and always thought it wasn't large enough for a track system, but if the track is only 12 feet wide I could do it. Iwould make the corners much larger, by the water and under the tree, etc.

Copperpot

Visit site
12 feet is the narrowest. Some bits are wider and the corners are really big. I googled it and it said 12 foot was ok. So far they seem to be ok with that. I have a photo but i can't remember how to upload them! I will get a tape measure out tomorrow and measure to double check ☺️

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think ours was about that, with corners bigger so no one got stuck. (and banned the neighbour from creating arguments by throwing carrots over!)

dollyanna

Visit site
Parts of my track are smaller than 12ft, more like 8-9 at times, but I only have 2 and they are very good friends. There are plenty of places they can be side by side and overtake etc.

Copperpot

Visit site
I have 3 in there. One is likely to get corned and picked on, so I've left places wider so he can escape. I think I will make it circular too so that he can just keep on running to get out the way.