Tragic Accident on the M6

carys220

Visit site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7681240.stm

frown.gif

carys220

Visit site
Trouble is they can't identify the fatalities so they don't know who the rest of the family is.
frown.gif

I always worry when I see foreign drivers on the motorway, one Portuguese lorry nearly had me in the central reservation once. Always try to give them a wide berth and get past quick after hearing stories about them working longer than they should be in unfit wagons. It sounds like this guy has just plowed into the slow moving traffic.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
What a terrible shame!.

It makes me soooooo angry that foreign drivers seem to be totally exempt from the regulations that UK drivers have to go through to keep their lorrys on the road and keep within their driving hours etc. If they drive on our roads they should drive under our rules.

F x

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I just hope and pray the impact was sufficient to have concussed them all first.

Having been at the scene decades ago where two children were trapped in the back of a burning Mini whilst their frantic mother had to be restrained from trying to pull them out I won't drive or travel in petrol-engined cars nor would I allow my children to travel in two door cars.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Saw this on the news, so sad. We seem to have a lot of foreign lorry drivers on the roads round us recently, prob down to sat navs. They drive too fast for the narrow lanes and are often talking on their phones
frown.gif

bennsboy

Visit site
Tragic and horrific.
One thing I must say though is that I have to ride on a very busy road to get to any bridleways, I am finding that more foreign lorry drivers have respect for the horses, ie slowing down and giving a wide berth than British.
RIP

carys220

Visit site
The police have now said that they believe 6 people where in the car going on who was in the car when they left birmingham, the reason they couldn't see the body earlier was because the 6th person was a baby.
frown.gif

jules89

Visit site
That news report just scared the hell out of me, RIP to all, and hope you guys are in a better place. So sorry to hear of this
frown.gif
xx

Nailed

Visit site
Yes confirmed six passagers 4 children 2 adults.
Such a waste of life!
Basically on my doorstep.

Dreading work tomorrow, the hospital will be full of this.
Lou x

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
[ QUOTE ]
Just awfull for there family... the foreign lorrys are a menace not paying anything, taking jobs and lives.. oh the joys of EU membership....
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure that is entirely true, bit of a sweeping statement in light of recent events i think - everyone is entitled to work and as we are in the EU foreign drivers are just as welcome to drive on our roads as we are theirs. Im not defending what this driver did though - lets be clear on that.

Either way - totally tragic for all involved - such a young family as well
frown.gif

carys220

Visit site
I think what perfect11s is getting at is the fact that drivers from the EU can freely drive on our roads without the same safety restrictions as British drivers with regards to driving time(some drive for 12-18 hours at a time) and the condition of the vehicles they are driving. There was a documentary about it a while ago, how they are an accident waiting to happen.......
frown.gif

perfect11s

Visit site
Thanks yes I am getting at that.. FYI we have to pay to drive in france and other countrys for instance and Im still waiting to find out the benifits of EU membership, apart from being a place to dispose of our unwanted politicians
smirk.gif

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Lets not turn a post dedicated to the family that died into a bitch about foreign workers.
People will work where they can, in what they can, doing what they can, to earn money, be it in their own countries or not....

As i said before - it really is a sad case that such a young family has been wiped out.

edited because i cant spell!

carys220

Visit site
Just to put an end to it....the driver lived in Portugal and was diving a Portuguese wagon delivering goods to the UK I believe. He wasn't a 'migrant worker' as they would be employed in the UK and would have to adhere to our standards.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Where did i say Migrant??

Anyway - im not about to turn this thread into a slanging match on right and wrong, the difference between migrant workers etc....

A family is dead, through what appears to be no fault of their own.
I hope they didnt suffer and passed quickly
frown.gif

irishdraught

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think what perfect11s is getting at is the fact that drivers from the EU can freely drive on our roads without the same safety restrictions as British drivers with regards to driving time(some drive for 12-18 hours at a time) and the condition of the vehicles they are driving:(

[/ QUOTE ]

All drivers have to adhere to the driving laws of this country, this includes driving hours, rest periods and condition of vehicles. The problem is, like any driver, catching them in the act. VOSA are conducting more and more stop checks of vehicles and those found committing offences, where applicable are prosecuted, have prohibitions put on their vehicles and have their rest enforced.

A tragedy for all concerned. It only takes that split second and although not religious, for the grace of God............................