Trailer and 4x4 versus box hire

Clannad48

Visit site
Ok so wondering if I am looking at things with a clear head. I currently have an Ifor Williams 510 which I tow with a Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD. So given the recent Jeep issues I am considering selling the car and trailer, buying a small car for work and hiring a box when we need to take the horse out which is about once a month in the Endurance season. My reasoning is as follows:

A lot of the endurance competitions take place over 100 miles away from us - just one dwb in the trailer
I do approximately 25 miles a day just for work with a car that does 20 miles to the gallon of diesel on the average run and 17mpg when towing
Lorry hire is between £150 and £250 per hire.
The trailer is in good nick and should get £2,000 minimum

I appreciate that the Jeep will not have a great resale value (54 plate) - BUT it tows like a train and the best towing machine I have ever used. But I don't fancy towing such long distances (previously towed within 75 miles from home)

Head is all over the place as to the best thing to do. Advice positive or negative greatly appreciated.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think if you don't travel a lot it's cheaper to hire .
However for me nothing beats being able to load up and go somewhere whenever you feel like it .
But if you don't need a big car you can lease or buy a small car very economically now with no tax and vat and use the. Money saved to hire a small van when you feel like it .

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
A lot of lorry hires will have mileage restrictions and I suspect that 200 miles in one hire would well exceed that. You might have to pay extra (I think I saw one which was £1-£2 for every mile over 75 :eek: ) so that's something to consider.
I do agree that a lorry would be better for longer distances though, would it be possible for you to buy your own lorry or is the running of car + lorry too much?

ROG

Visit site
How many horses do you need to transport?

If only one horse then why not get a lightweight trailer that your new car can tow?

Clannad48

Visit site
We used to have an old 6.5 ton lorry which was perfect but the cost of insurance, tax and plating was prohibitive, as it was very old it only did about 15mpg. Whilst I could manage with a smaller car I really love the seating position on the Jeep, and feel a lot safer in it. I suppose we could just sell the trailer and use the money from it to finance hiring a lorry, in reality it should cover the cost of hiring this year at least and then that gives me time to find a smaller more economical car. We have looked at buying a small lorry but in reality the cost does not add up financially. I'm just getting a headache looking at all the variables.....

Clannad48

Visit site
ROG - I tow an Ifor Williams 510 that is in near to perfect condition, with one 17h dwb - total weight approximately 1650kg. But with Endurance you have to factor in all the extra things we take - including 75litres water mimimum , as well at the ability to crew offroad - I was considering a more economical car for towing but to buy what I want I would probably need to sell the trailer to finance it. Given the recent issues with Jeep (which I am still in the process of trying to resolve) my car although in good condition would struggle to make scrap money at the moment.

ROG

Visit site
Would something like a 4x4 Skoda Octacia which has a 2000 towing capacity be something to consider then you could keep the trailer

I assume you have B+E anyway

ROG

Visit site
Rog - B+E and HGV towing licence - since Noah loaded the animals into the ark :) :) :)
I did seem to remember that from some time ago when you posted

Seems you just need to replace the towing vehicle to one which can do commuting and towing on the odd occasion with 4x4 capabilities

Clannad48

Visit site
Yep, ROG that is they way I am thinking following lots of research, I just love the Jeep though - even with the weight it tows a dream. Perhaps I should consider an LPG version

Clannad48

Visit site
Looked at the XTrail along with several others but the mpg is not as good as I would have hoped for. BTW there are petrol Jeeps that have been converted, mostly the 4.0 Grand Cherokee's. Going to continue looking though