Trailer breakdown insurance for older trailers?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Advice please - I need to sort trailer insurance just in case car breaks down while towing... but what I have found will only cover trailers up to 25 years old. I don't want to insure its value (it's not worth that much), it's so that I can get towed if somehting happens.

Tow car is 20 years old and trailer is probably 19802 (Sinclair, love it). Any recommendations (and ones to avoid!) very welcome.

Car is already covered for breakdown with AA but they don't do trailer top up, which it looks like RAC do. Might swap to RAC next year!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've never been asked age of trailer. We use PRP and if you are an AA member I think it's cheaper to use them too. If the trailer is well maintained and up to current regs it's a bit cheeky of them to say that isn't it. It's not like a classic car that might break down every 5 miles. It's probably no more risk of breakdown than a modern trailer and there are bound to be plenty of poorly maintained younger ones.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I've never been asked age of trailer. We use PRP and if you are an AA member I think it's cheaper to use them too. If the trailer is well maintained and up to current regs it's a bit cheeky of them to say that isn't it. It's not like a classic car that might break down every 5 miles. It's probably no more risk of breakdown than a modern trailer and there are bound to be plenty of poorly maintained younger ones.

Thanks FW I shall try them :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
Rather than on age, if trailers are given individual valuations (based on condition, servicing, new parts, upgrades), that makes better sense. My trailer insurance company (Stonehill) asked me for a valuation for my 23 yo trailer before insuring it so I got Barnwell Trailers in Oundle to write me a valuation when they did the annual service.

foraday

Visit site
Equine Rescue Services will cover your breakdown for your trailer even with AA or RAC or any other provider

You just have to call them up and they will recover your horses for you!

http://www.equinerescue.co.uk/

5***** service and cannot fault them at all