Trailer buying rant

Batgirl

Visit site
Oh, not just you, how about trailer height? 'oh it will take 2 big horses' well great, are we talking 16hh big or 17hh big as they are very different when it comes to trailers!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Me too. I asked the trailer weight and they said -How would I know that? err...

Then I asked another how old the trailer was and they said they didn't know. Seriously do they expect me to pay good money.

I eventually bought from a trailer dealership which turned out great as we got chatting and I'm going to be selling their second hand trailers that they have in on part exchanges.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Probably a good idea to look up the model you're viewing so you can satisfy yourself and not rely on someone who doesn't actually know. When we were looking, I printed out the spec's of the models I was interested in to view and could then check it properly against the trailer itself.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Probably a good idea to look up the model you're viewing so you can satisfy yourself and not rely on someone who doesn't actually know. When we were looking, I printed out the spec's of the models I was interested in to view and could then check it properly against the trailer itself.

What make of trailers have you been looking at?

Trouble is most of them don't know the model or year, let alone weight. I am having to become trailer detective but often I am guessing.

Best answer so far has been "we use it for 2 horses that weigh 600kg each" ...Err I am sure you do, but how do you know that's ok?!

Arrrgh!

OldNag

Visit site
Me too. I asked the trailer weight and they said -How would I know that? err...

Then I asked another how old the trailer was and they said they didn't know. Seriously do they expect me to pay good money.

I eventually bought from a trailer dealership which turned out great as we got chatting and I'm going to be selling their second hand trailers that they have in on part exchanges.

I am getting that all too often. Sadly. Worryingly.

Great thought on the dealer! Sounds like a good venture :)

Batgirl

Visit site
I am trying to find a cheval liberate made and foal trailer, seen them advertised as 'single and a half' or people approaching me offering single trailers for 'big' horses. No, he is 17hh, there is a reason I want that model and no your 2m tall tale is not big enough, unless it has a sunroof!

OldNag

Visit site
I am trying to find a cheval liberate made and foal trailer, seen them advertised as 'single and a half' or people approaching me offering single trailers for 'big' horses. No, he is 17hh, there is a reason I want that model and no your 2m tall tale is not big enough, unless it has a sunroof!

But they will probably tell you it's ok you can squash him in!!

I am beginning to think buying second hand trailers is far worse than second hand cars isn't it.
At least with cars people tend to know what make/model they have rather than just saying "you can fit 5 people in it"!

popsdosh

Visit site

Ring Cheval and ask how many sold in uk as it will give you some idea of the number in circulation .fingers of one hand I suspect.

popsdosh

Visit site
Trouble is most of them don't know the model or year, let alone weight. I am having to become trailer detective but often I am guessing.

Best answer so far has been "we use it for 2 horses that weigh 600kg each" ...Err I am sure you do, but how do you know that's ok?!

Arrrgh!

Just get them to take a picture of the plate and send it to you ,do it all the time with machinery serial number plates nowadays.

In their defence if they have never bothered about the weight why should they know, As for make and model if they have not put it in the advert ,I would guess they might not know but perhaps thats just my logic.

OldNag

Visit site
Just get them to take a picture of the plate and send it to you ,do it all the time with machinery serial number plates nowadays.

In their defence if they have never bothered about the weight why should they know, As for make and model if they have not put it in the advert ,I would guess they might not know but perhaps thats just my logic.

I have asked ....! Not had any photos back yet so I assume the plate is missing or they can't be bothered.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Most trailers will have the weight details on a plate probably on the 'A' frame near the jocky wheel. The year of manufacture should be on the plate as well. Sometimes depending on the age of the trailer the seller may not know the age. Years ago I had a trailer & had no idea of its age, I would have thought at least 20 years old? With fairly new trailers the age is important as that will affect the value. With older trailers their value depends very much on condition.

Trailer weights & lorry weights have always beenan issue & it will continue to be so. I went to see a 7.5 ton box once & it was beautiful, it had everything bit then I asked what the payload was. I was told 700kg. I told them they had a very nice motorhome but it certainly wasn't a horsebox. By the time you'd got fuel, driver, passenger, tack etc on ity you would struggle to carry a shetland!

OldNag

Visit site
Most trailers will have the weight details on a plate probably on the 'A' frame near the jocky wheel. The year of manufacture should be on the plate as well. Sometimes depending on the age of the trailer the seller may not know the age. Years ago I had a trailer & had no idea of its age, I would have thought at least 20 years old? With fairly new trailers the age is important as that will affect the value. With older trailers their value depends very much on condition.

Trailer weights & lorry weights have always beenan issue & it will continue to be so. I went to see a 7.5 ton box once & it was beautiful, it had everything bit then I asked what the payload was. I was told 700kg. I told them they had a very nice motorhome but it certainly wasn't a horsebox. By the time you'd got fuel, driver, passenger, tack etc on ity you would struggle to carry a shetland!

I have asked for pics of plates but none have been forthcoming so far! I am just surprised that the majority of people I have asked have no idea if their trailer's weight or maximum.

Wow that sounds like a fairly useless lorry!

popsdosh

Visit site
I have asked for pics of plates but none have been forthcoming so far! I am just surprised that the majority of people I have asked have no idea if their trailer's weight or maximum.

Wow that sounds like a fairly useless lorry!

Trailer weights are not nearly as critical as lorry weights as very few will ever get overloaded unless you are tight on a licence allowance.

Batgirl

Visit site
popsdosh, I have missed 3 second hand ones in the last month so I know they are out there and I am keeping my eyes open for second hand as I save to buy new but thanks for the input.

Also license isn't the only issue, trailer outweighing your cars towing capability is too!

Beausmate

Visit site
I can guess at the weight of my trailer, but without taking it to a weighbridge I don't know. It was 914kg originally, but the rear ramp, floor and partition have all been changed at some point.

I only recently found the date of manufacture plate too, although I knew it had to have been made before 1989, as it doesn't have an auto-reverse hitch. It's actually dated 1976!

I would have thought it's easier with newer trailers, as the plates shouldn't be so worn as to be unreadable and less of the structure is likely to have been replaced with non-original parts.

As for the sizes - just how hard is it to use a tape measure??!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
popsdosh, I have missed 3 second hand ones in the last month so I know they are out there and I am keeping my eyes open for second hand as I save to buy new but thanks for the input.

Also license isn't the only issue, trailer outweighing your cars towing capability is too!

If that's the case why don't you check what weight your vehicle can manage then check the manufacturer's sites for specifications then do a wanted ad for the ones that match your criteria? TBH, with pics of a trailer it's usually simple enough to compare which model it is (even if not year) if you have the maker's spec' and are good at 'spot the difference'.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Those who are a bit dopey about selling are often also about the price! It wouldn't put me off, just needs a bit more research. Buying and selling is a game, not an exact science.

Procrastination

Visit site
Totally feel your pain OP!

I'm currently looking for a 2nd hand trailer and I have been amazed at some of the responses from sellers when I enquire about the service history and whether it has had any work done to it recently, what it might need in the near future etc. Response I got from one person this morning was

"This is a trailer not a Motor Vehicle! Nothing needs attention!"

Very helpful and informative....!

AandK

Visit site
On behalf of SOME sellers.. I just sold my trailer, and I knew the year of manufacture, the unladen weight and internal height. I also measured the inside dimensions for someone who asked. If you know the make and model of trailer, it is not hard to find this information out via the internet.

Batgirl

Visit site
Are you referring to actual weight of trailer when loaded or the plated weight?

Both ROG, I have seen people think that a license to tow means they can get a small car, big trailer and shove 2 horses in it regardless (I have seen people towing 2 large horses in a large trailer with 'my' car. Which I know doesn't have the towing capacity for that.)

For the record for everyone helpfully trying to advise me, I joined in on a rant for a bit of fun! I don't need help :) I know what I want and that it is suitable, and how rare it is etc

ROG

Visit site
Both ROG, I have seen people think that a license to tow means they can get a small car, big trailer and shove 2 horses in it regardless (I have seen people towing 2 large horses in a large trailer with 'my' car. Which I know doesn't have the towing capacity for that.)
You are correct if referring to actual weight but not plated weight

The plated weight can legally be more than the towing capacity
Example
Towing capacity 2000
Plated weight of trailer 2500
Empty weight of trailer 1000
1000 max can be loaded into trailer

Batgirl

Visit site
Sorry ROG, I thought plated referred to weights 'plural' that were on the plate (i.e. all the weights listed on the plate are plated weights and have different labels (axle weights, unladen weights etc?)
Apologies if I have that wrong, the point I was trying to make was in response to the previous poster, which hopefully I made!