Trailer buying rant

Joyous70

Visit site
No problem, i know how difficult Cheval's are to find, i have one, but mine is a Robinsons re-badged and people are forever asking me if its a mare & foal, no it isn't but its a very small double, my girl travels solo with a full breach bar.

No arsiness taken/intended :)

DJ

Visit site

ROG

Visit site
Sorry ROG, I thought plated referred to weights 'plural' that were on the plate (i.e. all the weights listed on the plate are plated weights and have different labels (axle weights, unladen weights etc?)
Apologies if I have that wrong, the point I was trying to make was in response to the previous poster, which hopefully I made!

The only weight to take as gospel is the biggest one listed on the plate which is the MAM weight - the max it can be when fully loaded

Empty weights can vary so a weighbridge is the only true way to get that

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Probably a good idea to look up the model you're viewing so you can satisfy yourself and not rely on someone who doesn't actually know. When we were looking, I printed out the spec's of the models I was interested in to view and could then check it properly against the trailer itself.

This absolutely.

I wouldn't take someone else's word for it. If you want to find out you need to do the research yourself.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Well today I have driven over 50 miles to see a trailer. ..

Vendor didn't have the paperwork to hand...

I inspected it, found some faults but not dealbreakers, will cost a little bit to fix, not horrendous. Hitched up and found an indicator not working. Vendor convinced it must be my car. I towed last week so sure it isn't. Turns out it hasn't been used for months and they didn't actually check it over before advertising it.......

Just had a call, half way home, they have sorted the indicator.

Permission to scream?

Luci07

Visit site
Interesting thread particularly as I will, in the near future, be selling mine as horse is much happier in the lorry. I have never had work done, trailer gets shunted off to the lorry man annually to check floor and electrics. I do know weight and measurements as researched all that carefully and even know what my tyre pressures should be. My epic fail is I can't work the special tyre checker I bought and air thingy so what should be an easy task always turns into an epic chore each time I want to check my tyres!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Interesting thread particularly as I will, in the near future, be selling mine as horse is much happier in the lorry. I have never had work done, trailer gets shunted off to the lorry man annually to check floor and electrics. I do know weight and measurements as researched all that carefully and even know what my tyre pressures should be. My epic fail is I can't work the special tyre checker I bought and air thingy so what should be an easy task always turns into an epic chore each time I want to check my tyres!

Lol you will be fine! Could you take it to a tyre place to get pressures absolutely spot on?

If only all sellers were like you. I wasted hours yesterday on a trailer that was not properly described and wasn't even prepped. How can someone say "electrics etc all good" if they haven't used it for 9 months and haven't checked since last use?

popsdosh

Visit site
Well today I have driven over 50 miles to see a trailer. ..

Vendor didn't have the paperwork to hand...

I inspected it, found some faults but not dealbreakers, will cost a little bit to fix, not horrendous. Hitched up and found an indicator not working. Vendor convinced it must be my car. I towed last week so sure it isn't. Turns out it hasn't been used for months and they didn't actually check it over before advertising it.......

Just had a call, half way home, they have sorted the indicator.

Permission to scream?

What? paperwork do you expect with a trailer.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What? paperwork do you expect with a trailer.

I would certainly expect the handbook which should have that trailer's plate number on at the very least and using/servicing tips.
I had a book with my IWT which was 18 months old when I first bought it which I passed on when sold; I also have the one for my Beaufort too. It's not rocket science to keep them safe somewhere to refer to or pass on to new owners.