Trailer closed ramp height question.

alainax

Visit site
Hi, just a daft question I hope someone has an idea about :)

I am down sizing from my lorry, and I am very impressed with the new cheval libertes.

My only concern is the ramps are very short, and there are no back doors. Now I know this is a very European thing, and I would never travel with the back doors closed - so the mesh makes perfect sense.

But I do wonder if there would be a lot of the horses bum visable above the ramp when closed, and if this would be an issue?

Pic for reference.

cheval-liberte-gold-touring-b82167152dfb012eb155eb326875765f.jpg

9tails

Visit site
They're quite low to the ground so the ramp length wouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming you can use as a ramp and also get them to step up. Depending on height of horse as to how much bum is on show, but I suspect it's tail height on a 16hh.

alainax

Visit site
They're quite low to the ground so the ramp length wouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming you can use as a ramp and also get them to step up. Depending on height of horse as to how much bum is on show, but I suspect it's tail height on a 16hh.

Thanks for the reply :) He is *just* 16hh. Yes it is a ramp or a door.

9tails

Visit site
Check they can take two horses. Their gross weight is quite low generally I think at 2000kg so you don't have a lot of capacity.

meesha

Visit site
No back doors would bother me as I used to close the horse side on motorway if wet and leave other side open (only travelled one). Also if transporting anything such as hay you can't stack as high and inside of trailer will get wet when parked. Friends had a similar trailer (different make, bateson I think) with barn doors at back so they opened like double doors they had a horse who didn't travel well, it kicked and doors came open the device keeping them closed was similar to that used in lorries. Sorry for only giving negatives, looks nice and inviting and prob easy to load if step up or ramp option!

alainax

Visit site
Check they can take two horses. Their gross weight is quite low generally I think at 2000kg so you don't have a lot of capacity.
It has 1150kg capacity to plenty for me. :)
No back doors would bother me as I used to close the horse side on motorway if wet and leave other side open (only travelled one). Also if transporting anything such as hay you can't stack as high and inside of trailer will get wet when parked. Friends had a similar trailer (different make, bateson I think) with barn doors at back so they opened like double doors they had a horse who didn't travel well, it kicked and doors came open the device keeping them closed was similar to that used in lorries. Sorry for only giving negatives, looks nice and inviting and prob easy to load if step up or ramp option!

I appreciate the input :) I find myself defending it in my head, making me think I like it more than I imagined! The fastenings on the back look just as secure as an Ifor, and he is not a kicker thankfully! He had a hissy fit about loading into my ifor single trailer, so I was looking for something nice and airy and inviting. :)