Trailer for under £500? Plus floor problems

tuscanyD

Visit site
Anyone here ever bought a trailer for less than £500? If so - what make was it [trying to establish what makes last well and which have particular problems etc]

Did it need anything doing to it or was it just cosmetically challenged?

How many years did it last/has it lasted?

Also we are always warned about dodgy floors - but I have never heard of anyone having a problem of this kind? Does anyone here have any horror stories?

Any good tips on what to look for in a floor? Apart from spotting obvious mould/rot and jumping up and down on the floor - what should I be looking out for.

Lots of sage advice required - thank you

Tempi

Visit site
when Bloss was 4years old she went through the floor of a trailer (it had rotted). i might add this was with her old owner and not me.

we used to have massive problems loading her, but she is fine now.

oh, and shes got a big scare on her off fore just down the side of the cannon bone.

Benefice1

Visit site
I brought a trailer this weekend for just shy of £500. It is a 'rice' trailer. It is an older style one, it doesnt have front unload and it has a square front rather than a slanted one. It has just had a new floor, the chasis is completely sound with very little rust, it has the partitions and has 5 new tyres. It could do with a lick of paint (although it doesnt really need it) other than that it is spot on!

If like me you want to beable to get around but cant afford to spend thousands on one then it is ideal. I saw a couple before this one and to be honest it isnt easy to find one for that money which doesnt need some work, as long as you dont want anything too fancy and dont mind the cosmetic side of things then i think you should be able to find one.

I have always been told that rice trailers are very good.

Happy hunting
laugh.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
my horse also went thru the floor of a trailer, not with me, she always loaded but used to pace up and down the whole time.

Crawl under neath as well and poke it with a screwdriver to see if its rotton.

We bought a pony trailer for £2.50 last summer at an auction, floor was OK didn't have a partion or breast bar.

ecrozier

Visit site
Take a screwdriver or something and push it into the floor, and if it seems soft, steer clear!
I had a friend at school whose horse had to be PTS after going through a trailer floor and breaking both front cannon bones. It was awful.

Alibear

Visit site
if they're the old marine plywood floors place a foot just inside the brace bar (you have to look underneath to see where they are) and bounce if it moves down the floors gone and you need a new one.

But basically as others have said just lift the matts and have a very good poke and prod especially around the edges as thats often were they go first.

However you can get a new plank style floor put in a Rice for about £300 by a dealers and then you are away
grin.gif

Also (I doubt this will be in your price braket but just incase) remeber Aluminum floors can still corrode so need to be checked to.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The problem with trailers is that they stand around a lot in the elements and the weather gets at them causing rust, corrosion seizing of some parts.

Tyres become worn and exposed to sunlight which causes them to perish.

The older they are the more they are effected. Try to get one that has been stored undercover.

Get both the floor and ramp checked out thoroughly using a scredriver etc. Also check out the metal framework that supports it. Get the wheel bearings checked out as these can seize. Also the tow hitch.

clipertyplop

Visit site
dont take any trailer or horse box floors for granted..... friends horse went through floor while on the motorway......i wont say anymore ......i,ll leave it to your imagination.....it dont cost much to replace, certainly a lot less than replacing a horse

Erray

www.mullponytrekking.co.uk
I've just bought an old rice trailer for £550. It has a brand new floor with a galvanised (I think) steel base (the stuff fish farm walkways are made of) with ply wood and then rubber on top. It has a breast bar but no partition and the ramps are rotten and need replacing It also needs a good paint but has brand new tyres and the breaks, towbar etc work fine.
I also have heard of plenty of horror stories of horses going through trailer floors so wouldn't risk anything.

Can anyone reccomend what to replace the ramps with? Was going to use marine plywood but OH wants to try get hold of some aluminium chequered plating. What does anyone think of this? Also looking for a partition.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Dont use chequer plate. Whilst it seems strong it will distort slightly each time the horse stands on the ramp. Eventually the ramp will no longer fit. There aren't enough support bars on a ramp to prevent this.
Use marine ply or mahogany ply.
Ali floors put in horse boxes are box section planking with T shaped legs to give rigidity.